Create or download a consultant’s invoice template for free.
This invoice template is good for: IT, management, operations, human resources, marketing, and business consultants. Please note some industries may require mentioning specific terms and conditions on your invoice so be sure to check the special requirements for your consulting business.
How to create and customize your invoice template.To customize your invoice template, upload your consulting company logo and enter your details. At a minimum, your consulting invoice template should include basic information about your business as well as the details of the service you’re providing to your client.
1. Your contact information. Include your company’s name, phone number, email address, and company website on your template.
2. Your client's information. Make sure to include at least an email address and a phone number. A physical mailing address is a nice to have.
3. Invoice number. There are multiple ways to assign consulting invoice numbers. If you're using Microsoft Excel to track your invoices, the simplest may be chronological – use the next number in the numerical series. But, that may not be intuitive and can quickly become a mouthful. (You don’t want your clients, or your team, to refer to invoice #492485720934.) You can work around this by breaking your simple invoice number into multiple parts, like using a unique customer number with a variable project number. So, when Jane Doe (customer number 25) hires you for another writing project – the fifth one this year – you could list that as #25-0005.
4. Invoice date. This should be the day you send out the sales invoice, not the day you created it. Make sure your invoice date, payment terms, and due date line up: if your payment terms are 30 days, then the due date should be exactly 30 days from your invoice date. And, use this date format to solve for international differences: Month (spelled out), date, year. (Example: December 28, 2017)
Tip: With PayPal Invoicing , we’ll automatically help you calculate the due date. And if you’re sending internationally, we’ll automatically display the invoice date in the proper format for your client.
Itemizing your blank invoice template.5. Service details. Be as clear as possible when describing the consulting service you’re providing. Be sure to include the following on your template:
- Service Date: Including a service date on your template is optional, but if you decide to note it, this would be the date you performed the service.
- Description: Be specific. For example, if you’re a marketing consultant, you may want to say something like “Initial consultation meeting with the digital marketing team on social media strategy.” Being clear and descriptive lets your clients know what the invoice is for, and that can save you time in follow-up questions. And, if you offered a free initial consultation, as many consultants do, include that as a line item for full transparency.
- Billing rate: Depending on the consulting service you provide, you may want to bill by an hourly rate, per item, or even a flat fee – look for a tool that gives you flexibility to bill whichever way your business needs. Make sure the invoicing software you choose allows you to itemize things like taxes or fees for subcontracted freelancers.
- Notes: Many consultants who have been in business for a long time rely on client loyalty, and adding personal touches can go a long way. Whether you add a note that says “Thank you for your business” or “Hope to see you again,” this section can help you make a lasting impression.
- Terms and Conditions: Include invoice payment terms in your terms and conditions (or notes) section, and remember to mention your terms for late or early payments. Also, if you’re sending an invoice to an international client or vendor, clarify which currency you’re billing in and add any local or industry-related requirements for your invoice.
7. Send. If you’re emailing your invoice, make sure to include a clear, descriptive, and accurate subject line. If you’re using PayPal Invoicing, you can simply click ‘Send’ to have PayPal send your invoice or you can select “Share link myself” to share the invoice link in your own email, text, or chat message.
Tip: PayPal Invoicing can get businesses paid fast. In a recent study, 79% of businesses using PayPal Invoicing reported that they received payment within a week.2 That’s much faster than traditional offline invoicing. Watch our 2-minute “How to send invoices online” video and see how easy it is for you to customize and send invoices, and how easy it is for clients to pay.
Access more invoicing features for free with PayPal Invoicing. For example, you can:
- Save invoice templates, items, and contact details for quick entry
- Send invoices to up to 1,000 customers at once
- Track status, view history, and send reminders for unpaid invoices
- Option to accept partial payments or enable tipping
- Accept payments from 200+ markets around the globe
- Send invoices on the go with the PayPal Business app
1 PayPal Credit is subject to consumer approval.
2 Source: comScore, based on a survey of 1,226 US and Canadian small- and medium–sized business owners asked how long on average it takes to receive a payment on an invoice from the time the invoice is sent out, using their primary invoicing tool, December 2017. 320 of surveyed businesses are currently using PayPal.
Frequently asked questions.
PayPal invoices are easy to create. Just enter your customer’s email address. Then add an item with its quantity and amount. Add as many items as you like. You can include personalized notes, terms and conditions, discounts, or any attachments your customer might need.
When you’re finished, click Preview to see how your invoice will look for your customer.
How do I send invoices?
You can send PayPal invoices to any email address in the world. When your invoice is ready, just click or tap the Send button and PayPal’s platform will send an email notification with a secure link to the invoice directly to your customer. If they have a PayPal account, your customer will also receive notifications about the invoice when they log into their account.
How do I share invoice links?
You can also share links to invoices directly with your customers. On the desktop experience, click Share link to invoice under the Send action. You’ll get a link that lets your customer view and pay the invoice. You can copy the link and your invoice becomes payable. Then share it by email, text, or messaging app. Because invoices contain your customers’ personal information, don’t share the invoice link on a public site.
To share the link again, copy it from your list of invoices by clicking the three-dot icon for the invoice. Or get the link by opening up the invoice details.
How do I send invoices to multiple customers?
Send the same invoice to up to 100 customers by clicking Multiple customers and entering each email address in the Bill to field. We’ll send a separate, payable invoice to each customer.
How do I import a batch of invoices?
Create and send a batch of multiple invoices by importing a CSV file if the feature is available in your country. Use our spreadsheet template to fill out the invoice details for each customer. For each invoice, include a customer email address, item name, and item amount. After you import the spreadsheet file, you can view a summary of the imported invoices before sending them. Once you send the file, we’ll email each customer a secure link to pay their invoice. For customer security, PayPal limits the number of invoices you can send in a single day.
Learn more about batch invoices.
Can I manage PayPal Invoicing from my mobile?
You can create, send, and manage invoices on both desktop computers and mobile phones. You can also send and manage invoices on the go with the PayPal Business mobile app. Get the mobile app from the Apple Store or Google Play. Learn more.
What are quick invoices?
Quick invoices let you send easy, professional payment requests on your mobile phone. They streamline invoice creation so you can quickly share a link to an invoice with your customer. Your customer will still get a professional invoice including your default business information.
On a mobile phone web browser:
1. Log into PayPal and go to your invoices.
2. Tap on the button icon in the lower right.
3. Choose Send a quick invoice, enter an amount, and payment description.
4. Tap Create and Share Link.
5. When your invoice link is ready, tap Share Link, and then share it by email, text, or messaging app.
On the PayPal Business mobile app:
1. Tap on the lightning bolt-shaped Quick Actions icon in the lower right.
2. Choose Send a Quick Invoice and follow prompts.
3. Tap Create and Share Link, then share it by email, text, or messaging app.
4. Tap Done.
How do invoices for shippable items work?
If you’re shipping an item or need your customer to give a shipping address, check the Items will be shipped box when you’re creating your invoice. You can then add any shipping costs. When your customer pays, you’ll be able to add tracking information when you ship their order.
How do I schedule recurring invoices?
You can set invoices to repeat weekly, monthly, yearly, or at a custom interval. When you start a recurring series of invoices, the customer will immediately receive the first invoice. (You also can schedule the recurring series to start at a future date.) The following invoices in the series will issue around 7:00 AM in your time zone according to frequency that you set.
Can I cancel a recurring invoice series?
You can cancel a single invoice within a recurring series or the entire series of invoices. To cancel an invoice, tap the three-dot icon for the invoice within your list of invoices. You can also cancel the invoice from its details page. When you cancel an invoice within a recurring series, we’ll ask if you want to cancel the single invoice or the entire series.
How do I send invoices across national borders?
There’s no extra step to send invoices across national borders. You can send PayPal invoices to any email address in the world.
If your customer has a PayPal account, we’ll display the invoice and email notification in their preferred language. If your customer doesn’t have a PayPal account, we’ll send the invoice and notification email in the language of your account. You can also specify a different language by editing your customer’s contact info when you create the invoice.
Fees vary by country or region. See seller fees.
Send professional estimates to give your customers the expected cost and description of your goods or services. PayPal estimates let your customers easily make approvals or request changes.Creating estimates is similar to creating invoices. Just like invoices, you can add your logo, save item descriptions, work from templates, and customize the estimate number. You can save estimates as templates for future invoices and estimates. Learn how to create invoices.
What happens after I send an estimate?When you send an estimate through PayPal, your customer will receive an email notifying them of the estimate and allowing them to view the estimate details. The customer will be able to accept the estimate or request changes.
When a customer accepts an estimate, you’ll get an email notifying you. You’ll be able to convert the estimate into an invoice.
If your customer requests changes, we’ll let you know with an email. Your customer can include a note about these changes. When you update the estimate, your customer will receive an email notification asking them to review and accept your changes.
If needed, you can always cancel your estimate. When you cancel an estimate, your customer will receive an email notifying them of the cancellation.
Can I update an estimate that the customer already accepted?If you update the details on an estimate after a customer has accepted it, the estimate status will revert to “Sent.” This ensures that your customer knows about the updates and accepts your changes.
Can I convert estimates into invoices?Convert your estimate into an invoice at any time. Your customer doesn’t need to accept the estimate through PayPal for you to convert it into an invoice.
When you convert an estimate, all details—including your customer’s email, item descriptions, discounts, terms, etc.—automatically populate a draft invoice. The same goes for any payment options you’ve selected, such as partial payments or tips. You’ll be able to edit and preview this invoice before sending it to your customer.
Do PayPal’s terms and conditions apply to estimates?PayPal estimates are a convenient tool to make it easier for you to communicate with your customers. All estimates and updates are between you and your customer and PayPal isn’t a party to them. You’re entirely responsible for the details therein, whether they’re binding or not, and any understanding you reach with your customers. You take full responsibility for your use of PayPal estimates.
You'll get an email confirming that we've sent your invoices, and when you've been paid.