Create or download a free contractor invoice template.
Start by downloading a sample contractor invoice template in Word, or by generating one using our free Invoice template tool. Then customize your invoice template document following the instructions below. Please note the downloadable Word invoice template doesn’t include PayPal Invoicing built-in features.
How to customize your invoice template.To customize your template, upload your company logo and enter your details. At a minimum, your invoice should include basic information about your contracting business as well as the details of the service you’re providing to your client.
Assigning your independent contractor invoice.When assigning your blank invoice template, make sure it’s clear who the bill is from and who it is to. Come up with a numbering system that makes sense for your business and helps you stay organized.
- Your contact information: Include your company’s name, phone number, email address, and company website.
- Your client's information: Make sure to include at least an email address and a phone number. A physical mailing address is a nice to have.
- Invoice #: There are multiple ways independent contractors assign invoice numbers. The simplest is chronological – use the next number in the numerical series. But, that may not be intuitive and can quickly become a mouthful. (You don’t want your clients, or your subcontractors, to refer to invoice #492485720934.) You can work around this by breaking your invoice number into multiple parts, like using a unique client number with a variable project number. So, when Jane Doe (customer number 25) hires you for another contractor job – the fifth one this year – you could list that as #25-0005.
- Invoice date: This should be the day you send out the invoice, not the day you created it. Make sure your invoice date, payment terms, and due date line up: if your payment terms are 30 days, then the due date should be exactly 30 days from your invoice date. And, use this date format to solve for international differences: Month (spelled out), date, year. (Example: December 28, 2017)
Tip: With PayPal Invoicing, we’ll automatically help you calculate the due date. And if you’re sending internationally, we’ll automatically display the invoice date in the proper format for your customer.
Supplying as much information about the products or handyman services provided helps you avoid any potential cash flow issues from late payments. You also want to be as transparent as possible when sending an invoice, making sure to specify not only your rates, but also the terms for payments. Consider itemizing things like labor charges and applicable taxes. Your invoice should generally include the following:
Itemizing your independent contractor invoice.
- Service details: Be as clear as possible when describing the product or service you’re providing.
- Service Date: Including a service date is optional, but if you decide to note it, this would be the date you performed the contractor service.
- Description: Be specific. For example, if you're a tiler, you may want to say something like “Laid tiles in first floor shower.” Being clear and descriptive about costs for labor and materials lets your clients know what the invoice is for, and that can save you time in follow-up questions.
- Billing rate: Depending on the product or service provided, most independent contractors choose to bill by hours, quantity, or even a flat rate – look for a tool that gives you flexibility to bill whichever way your contractor business needs.
- Notes: Many independent contractors who have been in business for a long time rely on customer loyalty, and adding personal touches can go a long way. Whether you add a note that says “Thank you for your business” or “Hope to see you again”, this section can help your small business make a lasting impression.
- Terms and Conditions: Include payment terms in your terms and conditions (or notes) section, and remember to mention your terms for late or early payments. Also, if you’re sending your contractor invoice to an international customer or vendor, clarify which currency you’re invoicing in and add any local or industry-related requirements for your contractor invoice.
Reviewing and sending your invoice template.Give your completed sales invoice template a quick read through before you send it. Keep an eye out for typos and make sure you didn’t miss anything.
- Preview: Before you send, preview the completed template to see what your customers will receive.
- Send: If you’re emailing your bill, make sure to include a clear, descriptive, and accurate subject line. If you’re using PayPal Invoicing, you can simply click ‘Send’ to have PayPal send your invoice or you can select “Share link myself” to share the invoice link in your own email, text, or chat message. By adopting a digital invoicing process, you can say goodbye to clunky paper files and lost carbonless copies.
- Get paid: With PayPal Invoicing, your customers will automatically have the option to pay you online using their credit or debit card, PayPal account, or PayPal Credit1.
Our contractor invoice template is good for all types of contractors, from general contractors to specialized services like plumbing, roofing, and tile-work. Ideal for both estimates and services rendered, this downloadable PDF is a convenient way to bill your clients.
Note: Some industries may require mentioning specific terms and conditions on your contractor invoice so be sure to check the special requirements for your business.
Access more invoicing features for free with PayPal Invoicing. For example, you can:
- Save invoice templates, items, and contact details for quick entry
- Send invoices to up to 1,000 customers at once
- Track status, view history, and send reminders for unpaid invoices
- Option to accept partial payments or enable tipping
- Accept payments from 200+ markets around the globe
- Send invoices on the go with the PayPal Business app
1 PayPal Credit is subject to consumer credit approval.
2 Source: comScore, based on a survey of 1,226 US and Canadian small- and medium–sized business owners asked how long on average it takes to receive a payment on an invoice from the time the invoice is sent out, using their primary invoicing tool, December 2017. 320 of surveyed businesses are currently using PayPal.
Frequently asked questions.
Can I add a personalized logo to my invoice?You can add a logo to your invoices in your business information settings or when you’re creating an invoice. You can add any PNG, GIF, BMP or JPG file, up to 1MB in size. We’ll resize your logo to fit within a 250(w) x 90(h) size.
Can I create invoice templates?PayPal Invoicing comes with templates designed for both service- and sales-based businesses. To save time and effort, create your own templates with customized item details, terms and conditions, notes, business info, and other options. You can also save a new template from a newly created invoice. On desktop, click the downward arrow on the Send button to save an invoice as a new template.
Can I save customized items for future use?You can save items by adding them in the Items section of your Invoicing settings. You can use them anytime in your future invoices.
How do I add taxes to my invoices?To save commonly used taxes (like sales tax, VAT, or GST) for future invoices, add them in the Taxes section of your Invoicing settings.
Can I add my Terms and Conditions to an invoice?When creating an invoice on desktop, click Add terms and conditions under Message to customer to include specific terms your customer should know. On mobile, tap See more options to add your terms and conditions.
You can use this text box to include legally required information for your business. For example tax information for customers, payment terms, a VAT number, or any other legal requirement. Please note, PayPal doesn’t represent or warrant that PayPal Invoices meet the local legal or regulatory requirements in your market. It is your responsibility to include all required information in your invoices.
PayPal invoices are easy to create. Just enter your customer’s email address. Then add an item with its quantity and amount. Add as many items as you like. You can include personalized notes, terms and conditions, discounts, or any attachments your customer might need.
When you’re finished, click Preview to see how your invoice will look for your customer.
How do I send invoices?
You can send PayPal invoices to any email address in the world. When your invoice is ready, just click or tap the Send button and PayPal’s platform will send an email notification with a secure link to the invoice directly to your customer. If they have a PayPal account, your customer will also receive notifications about the invoice when they log into their account.
How do I share invoice links?
You can also share links to invoices directly with your customers. On the desktop experience, click Share link to invoice under the Send action. You’ll get a link that lets your customer view and pay the invoice. You can copy the link and your invoice becomes payable. Then share it by email, text, or messaging app. Because invoices contain your customers’ personal information, don’t share the invoice link on a public site.
To share the link again, copy it from your list of invoices by clicking the three-dot icon for the invoice. Or get the link by opening up the invoice details.
How do I send invoices to multiple customers?
Send the same invoice to up to 100 customers by clicking Multiple customers and entering each email address in the Bill to field. We’ll send a separate, payable invoice to each customer.
How do I import a batch of invoices?
Create and send a batch of multiple invoices by importing a CSV file if the feature is available in your country. Use our spreadsheet template to fill out the invoice details for each customer. For each invoice, include a customer email address, item name, and item amount. After you import the spreadsheet file, you can view a summary of the imported invoices before sending them. Once you send the file, we’ll email each customer a secure link to pay their invoice. For customer security, PayPal limits the number of invoices you can send in a single day.
Learn more about batch invoices.
Can I manage PayPal Invoicing from my mobile?
You can create, send, and manage invoices on both desktop computers and mobile phones. You can also send and manage invoices on the go with the PayPal Business mobile app. Get the mobile app from the Apple Store or Google Play. Learn more.
What are quick invoices?
Quick invoices let you send easy, professional payment requests on your mobile phone. They streamline invoice creation so you can quickly share a link to an invoice with your customer. Your customer will still get a professional invoice including your default business information.
How do I create an Invoice?
1. Log in to your PayPal Business Account.
2. Click Pay & Get Paid.
3. Click Create and Manage Invoices.
4. Click Create Invoice.
5. Type in your customer's information.
6. Select the type of invoice and currency.
7. If needed, add shipping by checking the shipping box.
8. To add line items, click the + icon.
9. Add any notes or click More options to add photos.
10. You can also add your logo to the invoice.
11. Add any due dates, discounts, shipping fees, taxes, etc.
12. Click Send.
Once the invoice has been paid, you'll see its status change in your dashboard.
How do I create and send invoices on the PayPal App?
1. TapPayments, the tap Get Paid.
2. Tap Send Invoice.
3. Tap Invoicing, and tap Create New Invoice.
How do invoices for shippable items work?
If you’re shipping an item or need your customer to give a shipping address, check the Items will be shipped box when you’re creating your invoice. You can then add any shipping costs. When your customer pays, you’ll be able to add tracking information when you ship their order.
How do I schedule recurring invoices?
You can set invoices to repeat weekly, monthly, yearly, or at a custom interval. When you start a recurring series of invoices, the customer will immediately receive the first invoice. (You also can schedule the recurring series to start at a future date.) The following invoices in the series will issue around 7:00 AM in your time zone according to frequency that you set.
Can I cancel a recurring invoice series?
You can cancel a single invoice within a recurring series or the entire series of invoices. To cancel an invoice, tap the three-dot icon for the invoice within your list of invoices. You can also cancel the invoice from its details page. When you cancel an invoice within a recurring series, we’ll ask if you want to cancel the single invoice or the entire series.
How do I send invoices across national borders?
There’s no extra step to send invoices across national borders. You can send PayPal invoices to any email address in the world.
If your customer has a PayPal account, we’ll display the invoice and email notification in their preferred language. If your customer doesn’t have a PayPal account, we’ll send the invoice and notification email in the language of your account. You can also specify a different language by editing your customer’s contact info when you create the invoice.
Fees vary by country or region. See seller fees.
You'll get an email confirming that we've sent your invoices, and when you've been paid.