What is Venmo and how does it work?
Venmo is a social payment service to make and share payments with friends, family, and businesses in the United States. It’s like PayPal, but is unique in that, on Venmo, you can share and like payments through a social feed.
Use Venmo to:
- Send and receive payments with your email or phone number by using your US bank, debit/credit card, or Venmo balance as the payment method
- Open a Teen Account for your teens
- Transfer money to and from your bank account
- Make purchases with your Venmo Debit Card or Venmo Credit Card
- Pay using QR codes in-store or on authorized partner apps or mobile websites
PayPal merchants will have an expanded consumer audience in the US as customers can now use their Venmo accounts to make purchases during a mobile PayPal checkout. Merchants’ fees and protections will remain consistent with their PayPal payments, and you don’t have to do anything to complete this integration.
How do I set myself up to send money from my Venmo account to my PayPal account?
At this time, it's not possible to link your Venmo and PayPal accounts. If you want to send money to your PayPal account via Visa+, the first step is making sure your PayPal account is properly set up with a Payname.
Visa+ payments cannot be canceled or reversed, so it’s important to make sure they’re going to the right place.
Once you’re sure you have your PayPal Payname, follow these steps:
- Go to the Me tab.
- Tap the Settings gear in the top right.
- Tap Send Money to PayPal.
- Tap Send.
- Enter your PayPal Payname.
- Enter the dollar amount you want to send.
- Confirm the payment details and then hit Next.
- Visa+ payments cannot be canceled or reversed. Please ensure the details are correct. Payments sent to the wrong Payname or account could be lost.
- You’ll need to confirm the last four digits of the phone number on your PayPal account to complete the payment.
- It can take up to 30 minutes for the money to get to the other account.
If you need assistance with your Venmo account, please reach out to our Venmo customer support.