How you can help increase conversion rates for your business.
A key indicator that you may need to optimize your site is an increase in qualified traffic, but little change in the number of shoppers who convert. Conversion can be affected by technical problems, like slow load times or old landing pages with no redirects.
So, if you’re seeing more browsers than buyers, the content and functionality of your website may be affecting conversion rates. There are three key areas that you should focus on when updating your site: experience, messaging, and imagery.
Create a user-friendly experience.
- Make your website easy to navigate – especially on mobile.
- Include customer reviews on product pages.
- Add product FAQs.
- Avoid too many product categories.
- Streamline your website’s navigation.
- Optimize your checkout.
You want to choose the checkout payment options that are convenient for your customers and improve your conversion rates. With a single integration, PayPal Checkout lets your customers pay with PayPal, Venmo2, PayPal Credit3, and major credit and debit cards – all without leaving your site. And the technology behind PayPal Checkout automatically shows them the most relevant payment options.
Make your messaging informative and engaging.
- Check your grammar.
- Keep your copy clear, concise, and consistent.
- Clear. Unlike shopping in a physical store where customers can see the actual item they’re buying, online shoppers rely on descriptions of products to make a purchase. This makes it extra important to be clear when writing content for your website. Include the dimensions of an item, what materials it’s made of, and any additional details that give the customer a clear understanding of what they’re buying.
- Concise. Web copy and literary text are two very different things. A long, beautiful sentence filled with descriptors and SAT-worthy vocabulary words is hard to fit on a banner. Structure the copy in a way that’s easy for someone to scan, with the most important points near the top. Try using bullets or numbered lists. Think about how your content will look on a mobile phone or tablet. If someone has to scroll to get to the end of a sentence, it’s probably too long.
- Consistent. Of course, consistency applies to things like pricing, but it’s also part of your brand. If you decide to use title case for headlines on one page, make sure you use title case for headlines on every page. If a product is described as “navy” one place, don’t call it simply “blue” in another. Try keeping the way you describe items consistent also. Your customers will be able to find information more quickly if they know where to look.
Provide quality imagery.
- Use high-resolution, well-lit product photos.
- Choose engaging decorative images.
The bottom line.A great product and effective marketing strategy aren’t always enough to close sales online. If your business’s website is getting the traffic, but not completing the sales, updating your site might be the key to increased conversions. Follow the steps above and you may find that a few small changes can result in big profits.
1Source: comScore online panel, Q4 2017. Analyzed shopping behavior of 1 million US consumers on 20 large merchant sites. Checkout conversion is measured from the point where consumer selects a payment type to completion of purchase.
2The ability to accept Venmo as a payment option is currently available with mobile-web checkout only in the US, and only wit eligible businesses.
3PayPal Credit is subject to consumer credit approval.
Frequently asked questions.
The primary currency of your PayPal account is the default payment currency unless you choose to use another currency.
To send money in a different currency:
- Click the Pay & Get Paid tab at the top of the page.  >
- Under 'Make payments', click Send Money.  >
- Enter the email address, mobile number or name of the recipient and click Next.  >
- Select either Sending to a friend or Paying for an item or service.  >
- Enter the amount, choose the currency (below the entered amount), and add a note if needed.  >
- Click Continue.  >
- If you want to change the payment method, under "Payment Method," click Change.  >
- Review the detail you've entered and click Send Money Now to complete your transaction.
- If you choose PayPal, we can show you the conversion rate at the time of the transaction  >
- If you choose the credit card association currency conversion, your card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to the transaction. You will not be informed of the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees applied until you are billed by your card issuer  >
- American Express payments are always charged in US Dollars.
Note: If you’re sending money for a personal payment to India, we ask that you find another way to pay until we’re able to restore personal payments to this area.
You can request a refund up to 180 days after you pay for your item. If you sent a payment, but it's still pending, you can cancel it on your Activity as long as you see the "Cancel" button next to it. If the payment isn't claimed within 30 days, it will be automatically refunded to you.
Here’s how to find the seller’s contact information to request a refund:
- On the Summary page select the transaction you want to cancel.  >
- Use the contact information to send the seller an email.
If you sent the payment using a Debit or Credit card, the refund will credit to the card used. It may take up to 30 days for the card to be credited. If you sent your payment using a bank account and the payment is canceled, it will be refunded to your bank account.
***Bank funded transactions: for cases in which a refund is requested or processed shortly after a purchase is made, we will make an effort to cancel the transaction, so you are never charged. If we’re unable to cancel the transaction, then a refund will be processed. Your funds should be credited to your bank account within 7-10 business days.
If PayPal performed currency conversion for your transaction and a refund is issued:
- Within 1 day of the date of the original payment, PayPal’s transaction exchange rate (including a currency conversion spread) used at the time of the original payment will apply.  >
- Beyond 1 day of the date of the original payment, PayPal’s transaction exchange rate (including a currency conversion spread) on the date of the refund will apply.
In many countries and regions, we've translated our most popular pages into the local language, making it easier for you to send or receive money, and benefit from other services.
PayPal supports several currencies allowing you to make a payment in another currency even if you don't hold a balance in that currency. To send a payment, click Send & Request. Fill out the payment details and select your currency.
Estimated arrival: about 30 minutes.
All transfers are subject to review and could be delayed or stopped if we identify an issue.
There is a fee to withdraw money using your eligible debit card. Additional currency conversion rates may apply when transferring from a non-domestic currency.