How do I receive a tip using PayPal Zettle?
PayPal Zettle’s tipping function enables your customers to add an extra amount to their bill via the card reader.
The tipping function only works with a Zettle card reader. To turn it on:
- In the PayPal Zettle app, go to “Settings”.
- Choose “Payment settings” and click Card.
How do I start receiving tips?
- Enter your order into the shopping basket on your PayPal Zettle app or simply enter an amount.
- Tap Charge and choose card as payment method.
- The card reader will ask your customer if they want to add a tip. Hand the reader to the customer.
- If they say yes, they’ll be asked to enter an amount. After that, they enter their PIN.
- You can now print, text or email a receipt to your customer.
Good to know:
- It’s not possible to refund a tip straight from your app; you can do so on your PayPal Zettle online account.
- To prevent accidental or invalid amounts (for example if the customer enters their PIN code instead of a tip amount), the maximum tip level is set to 50%. If the customer enters more than 50%, the card reader will show a “too high amount” warning message.
- It’s important that you understand how to receive and declare tips according to local tax authority regulations.
- Tips accepted with a Zettle card reader are presented on your PayPal Zettle sales reports and your receipts.