How do I issue a full or partial refund?
You can issue a full or partial refund up to 180 days after you receive a payment as long as its status is "Completed," "Pending," or "Cleared."
Here's how to refund a payment:
- Click Activity near the top of the page.
- Click the payment you want to refund.
- Click Refund this payment.
- For "Refund amount," enter the amount you want to refund, (you may have the option to refund a partial amount of the payment) and then click Continue.
- Review your information to make sure you entered the correct refund amount, and then click Issue Refund.
When you issue a full refund using the Issue Refund link, we credit your full variable transaction fee (1.9% to 3.9% of the transaction amount) while the fixed portion of the fee ($0.30 USD per transaction) is not refundable. If your customer originally paid using their American Express card, you were not charged a fixed fee and the entire variable transaction fee (3.5%) will not be refunded. When you issue a partial refund, we credit a percentage of the variable transaction fee, based on the amount of the refund.
- If the transaction only allows for a full instead of partial refund, it's likely the buyer used a coupon or gift certificate. When coupons are applied to transactions, full refunds are the only option. If this is the case, you can provide a partial refund to the customer by clicking Send & Request.
- The refund is paid from your PayPal account balance. If your PayPal account balance does not have enough money in it, the entire refund will be issued from the primary bank account linked to your PayPal account.
- You can only issue full refunds on personal payments.
If your PayPal account balance does not have enough money in it, the entire refund will be issued from the primary bank account linked to your PayPal account.
To learn more about variable and fixed transaction fees, click Fees at the bottom of any PayPal page.
You were logged out to help protect your account.