How do I close the PayPal account of a relative?
Only the account owner can close their account, unless the owner is deceased.
To close the account of a person who is deceased, please collect the documents below and fax them to us:
• A copy of the death certificate for the account holder.
• A copy of a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license, passport or state-issued ID) of the executor of the estate.
• Legal documentation or a copy of the will that identifies the executor of the estate.
Note: If this PayPal account has a balance, we will also require a letter that specifies what to do with the money that remains in the account.
Please fax the documents to 1-303-395-2815 and our Compliance department will review for account closure.
Once all necessary documentation has been received and reviewed, the account will be closed within 1-2 business days.
We can disburse any money that remains in the account in one of the following ways:
- In the United States, the executor will request a check in the name of the deceased account holder. PayPal will send the check to the primary mailing address of the deceased account holder or to the executor’s address. This is the preferred method for exiting funds from a deceased customer’s account.
- Alternatively, the balance in the deceased customer’s PayPal account may be transferred to the bank account on the customer’s PayPal account. An executor will have access to the deceased customer’s bank account.
You were logged out to help protect your account.