Accept donations quickly: Adding a Donate button to your site in minutes
If you need a quick way to accept donations on your website, we’ll walk through the process from start to finish.
Adding a Donate button to your website
If you already have a website, you can quickly add a button to accept donations or contributions. You only pay a low transaction fee when donors contribute to your organization. View fees.
If you’re registered as a 501(c)(3) public charity or similar organization, you may be eligible to confirm your PayPal Business account as a charity. Charity accounts benefit from paying reduced PayPal fees, including on payments made via the Donation button. 1
NOTE: If your website is hosted by an ecommerce platform – like BigCommerce, Magento, Shopify, or others – you may be able to add a new Donate button from your site’s administration console and skip the steps below.
Here’s what you’ll need to complete the steps below:
- Your PayPal Business account username and password
- Access to your website’s HTML code
Step-by-step instructions (total time: ~10 minutes per button)
- Log into your PayPal Business account.
- Click Tools at the top of the page, and then click PayPal buttons.
- Select the Donate button.
- Enter the item name and price. You can also customize the button with additional features. Click Create Button.
- Click Select Code to select the button code.
- Copy and paste the button code into your own web page code where you want the button to appear. Repeat the above process for every page where you want to add a button.
- This new button will appear on the "My Saved Buttons" page if you’d like to edit it at any point.
That’s it! You can now accept donations on your website.
As a next step, you can confirm your PayPal Business account as a charity, and then enroll in PayPal Giving Fund. Charities enrolled in the PayPal Giving Fund can receive donations through PayPal fundraising or donation programs run by our partners.
When you’re ready, you can also:
- Create and send invoices.
- Create a link you can share in email, text message, or social media channels.
Stay well and call us at 844-720-4039 if you need any help. Or, visit our online help center.
1 To be eligible for discounted fees, your charitable status needs to be verified by PayPal. Learn more.
Frequently asked questions.
- Know your donors and where your money comes from. Call to thank new and unknown donors that make large contributions. Monitor irregular donations and contact the donor if you don’t feel the money is legitimate.  >
- Host a website with information about your charity and tell your community how you are using their donations.  >
- Monitor the Internet for fake websites that are using your charity’s name. You don’t want your contributors to accidentally donate to a fraudulent website.  >
- Keep an up-to-date list of the people who are authorized to accept money on your behalf and limit access to the list.  >
- Provide employees with limited access to financial information. Only give employees access to the information they need to do their job. Use PayPal’s manage users functionality to set up employee privileges. You can decide how much access to give each of your employees.
Report any fraudulent donations in our Resolution Center so we can take appropriate action.
Typically, it takes 15-45 days for a donation to be granted to a charity enrolled with PayPal Giving Fund. It can take 90 days or longer to grant a donation to charities in our database that haven’t yet enrolled with PayPal Giving Fund.
If it has been longer than 45 days since you donated to an enrolled charity, or longer than 90 days since you donated to an unenrolled charity, please contact our customer service team.
If you would like to contact us and don’t have a PayPal account, please click here and fill out the form so we can help you resolve your PayPal Giving Fund issues.
How do I know if my business is eligible?
You must have a business account with PayPal and a claimed Google Business profile to participate. If you don’t have an account with Google My Business, you can sign up at https://business.google.com. There are some eligibility criteria for participation in Google My Business.
How do I get started?
First, set up your personalized donation link which will be hosted by PayPal, so you don’t need a website or do any coding. You’ll can add the link to your Google Business profile and share it by email, text, social media, chat, and more.
How do I add a link to Google My Business profile?
Go to Google My Business (https://www.google.com/business/) and paste your link in the section named “Your donation link”. The link will automatically appear in your business profile Google Search and Google Maps.
Mine is a for-profit business. Can I accept donations?
Donations may be treated as income. Reporting requirements vary by location, so be sure to check with your tax authority for more details. You’ll want to consult with an accounting professional for specific guidance.
How do I know if I receive a donation?
The donations will be processed by PayPal and typically show up in your account within minutes. Sometimes, to make sure transactions are secure, it may take longer to get your money and you can read more about why this may happen. You’ll receive the normal transaction notice by email and you’ll see the details in your account with PayPal.
Will I know who has made a donation?
The names and email addresses of your donors will be part of the transaction details.
Are the donations subject to PayPal transaction fees?
Yes, you’ll pay your normal transaction fees on donations. Read more about fees.
How can I thank my donors?
You can include a thank you in the message to donors that’s part of your donation link.
How can I change my donation link?
Log in to Google My Business and click the link to PayPal to create a new donation link or update an existing one.
How can I change the logo that’s displayed in my donation link?
Log in to PayPal and go to Settings. You can change or edit your logo image in Business information.
Charities can use PayPal to collect donations and can receive a discounted rate.
How does PayPal confirm charities and nonprofit organizations?
To get the discounted charity rate for your organization, we need to confirm your charity account.
You can begin the confirmation process at www.paypal.com/charities. You will need to provide information to prove that:
- Your organization is legally registered with the appropriate regulatory body  >
- You are a representative of that organization
How can my charity or nonprofit use PayPal to collect donations?
The PayPal donation button is a convenient and cost-effective solution for collecting donations online. Follow our step-by-step guide to create a Donate button. Define the donation amounts you want to accept or create an open field for customers to fill in; no programming is required.
To receive recurring donations simply set up a Donate button and integrate it to your site. View our PayPal Developer page to see the current Donate experience.
When donors click your donate button, they complete their donation on the PayPal site. There are no monthly or set-up fees with donation button transactions. Your organization only pays processing fees when they receive a donation.
- Customers can choose to automatically give a monthly donation to your organization. Both the organization and the customer can control the recurring payments in their respective profile settings if they would like to cancel or change the amount.  >
- Donate button is automatically mobile optimized for easier payments on small devices.
Visit our PayPal Nonprofits site to learn about all of the tools PayPal provides to help nonprofits raise funds.