How do I accept credit cards with Checkout using the Guest Checkout option?
These features are only available for Business accounts.
About Guest Checkout
Buyers don’t always have the option to complete their purchases without using or creating a PayPal account. This option is presented based on several risk factors, including but not limited to the buyer's PayPal purchase history, PayPal cookies stored on the buyer's computer, the buyer's location, and/or a credit assessment.
By enabling Guest Checkout within your PayPal account settings, buyers will have the option to check out using a debit or credit card, without the need for a PayPal account login.
Products Without Guest Checkout Functionality
The following products do not offer a guest checkout experience:
- CreateBillingAgreement, CreateRecurringPaymentsProfile, Express Checkout using Billing Agreements or Recurring Payments. You can find these references in your API logs. If you're unsure whether or not your system uses these API operations, please reach out to your developer or cart provider to check your logs.
- PayPal HTML Installment, Subscription, and Automatic Billing buttons. To have guest checkout for these products, you will need the Enhanced Recurring Payments product.
- REST Billing Agreements
- PayPal HTML Donation button where the checkout is a recurring payment.
Before you can enable Guest Checkout in Checkout, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- Have a confirmed email address.
- Set PayPal Account Optional to On within your PayPal settings (see below).
- Set SOLUTIONTYPE=Sole in your initial SetExpressCheckout API call.
- If you’re using a third-party shopping cart, you’ll need to work with them or your developer to implement this variable.
- As long as SOLUTIONTYPE=Sole is passed in the SetExpressCheckout API, Guest Checkout will be enabled.
- In order for SOLUTIONTYPE=Sole to work, you must have PayPal Account Optional set to On within the PayPal account settings (see below).
- Many third-party carts provide an Enable Guest Checkout option in the Administration view of their Checkout module.
Here’s how to enable the PayPal account optional setting:
- Hover over your name in the top right corner.
- Click Account Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Click Website payments under 'Products & Services' on the left of the page.
- Click Update beside 'Website preferences'.
- Select On under 'PayPal account optional'.
If you’d like to have a more consecutive checkout process that allows buyers to check out with or without creating a PayPal account, consider using a PayPal Payments Pro account (known as Website Payments Pro in some countries).
With PayPal Payments Pro, you can accept credit card transactions directly on your website with no reference as to who the processor is, as PayPal will be transparent to the buyer as your credit card processor.
PayPal Payments Pro is not available in all countries - check the developer portal to see if it’s available to you.