Protecting your business is our top priority.
With industry-leading security solutions that keep your business more secure, we set the standard for fraud prevention. Our sophisticated technology, well-engineered processes and top notch fraud intelligence help safeguard your money, 24-7.Sign Up Now
Protect your business.
No matter where you trade – online or offline – there’s always a risk of fraud. When accepting sales, consider our fraud prevention checklist. It will help you identify potentially fraudulent transactions from stolen credit cards or accounts, and minimise the risk of chargebacks and claims of items not received.
Our industry-specific tips are for businesses vulnerable to more specific types of fraud – sellers of digital goods, airlines and hotels.
Does the shipping address appear suspicious?
• Is it a high risk location, such as a vacant property, hotel or a country known for fraud?
• Have you previously received claims or chargebacks from this buyer?
• Is the buyer requesting overnight shipping for an expensive order that’s in high demand?
• Are there multiple orders being shipped to different buyers at the same address within a short period of time?
Does the order seem too good to be true?
• Is it a larger than average order from a new buyer?
• Has there been an overpayment, followed by a request to wire the difference?
• Have you received a large quantity of orders from the same buyer (name, email address, phone number or IP address) within a short period of time?
• Has the buyer ordered unusually large numbers of the same item?
• Has the buyer asked you to use their shipping service?
If you’re suspicious…
• Check the buyer’s contact information (name, phone number and email address) against the shipping address and look for consistent/matching information.
• Search the internet for the buyer’s name, shipping address, email address and phone number.
• Search online to see where the phone number is registered.
• Use an online maps service (like Google Maps) to see where the order is being shipped to.
• Call the buyer and ask questions that help verify the order.
• Follow the guidelines in our Seller Protection Policy
If you’re still not sure if the transaction is legitimate, please Contact Us
Develop account screening processes and set transaction limits to reduce your vulnerability to fraud.
Download digital goods guide
Make the most out of your online flight booking and payment services while minimising your risk.
Download guide for airlines
Improve your online room booking and assessment processes to help keep fraud at bay.
Download guide for hotels
Note: These tips and guides are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute professional or legal advice. PayPal does not accept any liability or responsibility for any loss arising from your reliance on the information provided in these tips and guides
Our security advantages.
Your business is safer when you get paid with PayPal.
- We detect most fraudulent transactions in real-time
- Our progressive system upgrades help keep us ahead of fraudsters
- We have extensive data encryption for strict confidentiality and security
- We monitor transactions 24/7
- Our dedicated team of anti-fraud specialists keep an eye out for you
PayPal is safer than most credit cards.*
*Source: Fraud Index Report Q1, 2014 by 2Checkout.com, Inc.
Help reduce your exposure to fraud.Sign Up Now