What is Virtual Terminal and how does it work?
The below content applies to Business accounts only.
Virtual Terminal is bundled with our customizable payment solution, PayPal Payments Pro. Virtual Terminal allows merchants to accept payments virtually anywhere they have Internet access, with no card swipe or software to install, and is ideal for merchants who receive orders by phone, fax, or face to face.
Virtual Terminal has these features and benefits:
- Grow your business – Process payments for major credit and debit cards. Extend your reach to customers who prefer not to pay online, including customers without a PayPal account.
- Process payments anywhere – Process payments anywhere through any device with an Internet connection and a web browser.
- Zero setup – Virtual Terminal requires no coding or specific software installation to get started.
- Use PayPal as a one-stop payment solution and more – Process your customers' orders through a PayPal-hosted online payment form along with a set of tools for intuitive reporting; printing shipping labels and packing slips; and printing or emailing transaction receipts.
- Process multiple payments simultaneously – You can launch multiple Virtual Terminal instances to process payments, as in the case of a call center or during heavy demand.
Here’s how it works:
- Log in to Virtual Terminal. When you're ready to process a payment, go to your App Center and click the Virtual Terminal tile.
- Enter the order. Enter the order details and credit or debit card information. If you're mailing an item, include the shipping information.
- Complete the transaction. You'll receive a confirmation for successful transactions. You'll then have the option to print a receipt or packing slip, email the receipt to your customer, or process another payment.
- Get paid. Once approved, the money shows up in your PayPal account, usually within minutes. From there, transfer it to your bank account, spend it wherever PayPal is accepted, or use your PayPal Business Debit Mastercard® at the ATM or in stores. You have fast access to your PayPal account, plus the PayPal Business Debit Mastercard offers 1 percent cash back on eligible purchases (It requires enrollment. Cashback applies to signed transactions only.)
If you encounter any issues when signing up or processing payments, reach out to Merchant Technical Support.
What must I do to start using Virtual Terminal?
How do I enter and process transactions in Virtual Terminal?