What is PayPal Key and where can I use it?
PayPal Key is a virtual card and a new way to use your PayPal account anywhere cards are accepted online. You can use PayPal Key like a card at any online merchant that accepts Mastercard – even those that don’t have a PayPal button.
Here’s how PayPal Key works:
- Choose a payment method from your PayPal Wallet
- Receive a secure PayPal Key with its own virtual card number, expiration date and security code
- Save the PayPal Key to your browser for faster checkout or use it as you would any card online
- Take PayPal Key anywhere you shop online
*A foreign transaction fee applies to cross-border and cross-currency transactions. Usage fees charged by merchants or other entities besides PayPal may apply.
You can add your PayPal Key to:
- Web browsers (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer)
- Google Pay (online only)
You can use your PayPal Key to:
- Shop at any U.S. and non-U.S. merchant that accepts Mastercard
- Buy over the phone (just give the merchant your virtual card number, expiration date and security code)
- Earn points in the same way you would with any card in your account
- Your PayPal Key represents your PayPal Wallet, so you won’t be able to add it as a separate payment method on your account.
- PayPal Key is not available for “buy online, pay in store” purchases.
- PayPal Key is powered by Mastercard and works wherever Mastercard is accepted. You'll see PayPal Key purchases appear as Mastercard purchases on your receipts and you may also see the Mastercard logo when you’re shopping online with PayPal Key.
- If you need to open a dispute for an item purchased with your PayPal Key, please visit our Resolution Center.
PayPal Key is a new product and will be available to more customers in the near future. If you don’t see the PayPal Key option in your account or in the app, please know we’re working hard to bring the product to customers like you.
Can I use PayPal Key outside US?
PayPal Key is available to only US consumers at this time. US consumers can use it at all online merchants in the US or internationally if a merchant accepts MasterCard.
Where will I get my refund if I’ve already deleted the PayPal Key since I made the purchase?
Yes, you will get your refund back to your original payment method. If we’re unable to send the money back to the original payment method, we’ll send it to your PayPal balance. If you made the purchase using your balance with PayPal and another payment method, we’ll apply the appropriate amount back to each payment method.
Does PayPal Purchase Protection still apply when I use PayPal Key?
Yes, PayPal’s Purchase Protection program applies to eligible PayPal Key purchases.