My payment was declined. Why can’t I make or send a payment?
If your payment was declined or you received an error message when trying to send a payment, it could be because:
- You may need to confirm the email address associated with your PayPal account.
- There may be an issue with the funding source you’ve selected (insufficient balance or declined transaction). Contact your bank or card issuer for more information.
- You have a limitation placed in your PayPal account.
- The seller’s/recipient’s PayPal account is limited.
- You may need to go through a security check, so we can confirm your identity.
- Double check that the email address or phone number that you are sending money to is correct.
- Changing your payment method at checkout. If you only have one payment method linked to your PayPal account, you’ll need to add another payment method before you can do this. You can add a debit or credit card or add your bank account. Both options are quick and easy and will give you more flexibility at checkout.
- Confirming your recipient’s email address or phone number is entered correctly. Make sure the recipient has finished registering for their PayPal account by confirming their information. A payment will fail if they haven’t completed this process.