How do I issue a full or partial refund?
You can issue a full or partial refund up to 180 days after you receive a payment as long as its status is "Completed," "Pending," or "Cleared." Refunds cannot be issued through the PayPal mobile app.
Here's how to refund a payment:
- Click Activity at the top of the page.
- Select the payment you want to refund.
- Click Refund this payment.
- Under "Total Refund Amount," enter the amount you want to refund (you may have the option to refund a partial amount of the payment), and then click Issue Refund (you'll be directed to a page confirming that your refund has been sent).
If you fully or partially refund a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.
- If the transaction only allows for a full instead of partial refund, it's likely the buyer used a coupon or gift certificate. When coupons are applied to transactions, full refunds are the only option. If you'll only provide a partial refund for such transaction, you can initiate a new payment on the Send & Request page to send your buyer the refund amount that you've agreed upon.
- If you have a balance with PayPal or you have money waiting that you haven’t accepted yet, the refund is paid from it. If you don’t have a balance or money waiting to be accepted, the entire refund will be issued from the primary bank account linked to your PayPal account.
- You can only issue full refunds on personal payments.
To learn more about the transaction fees, click Fees at the bottom of any PayPal page.