How do I create a PayPal Fundraiser?
After opening the PayPal app, click Pay in the center bottom menu. In the Giving tab, click the option at the top for “Start a fundraiser”. Next, choose whether to create a fundraiser in support of a charity or not. If you’re fundraising for a charity, choose from our list of charities enrolled with PayPal Giving Fund.
All fundraisers are required to meet the PayPal Fundraisers terms and conditions and PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.
Step 1: Choose the type of fundraiser. When creating your fundraiser, choose between:
- Reach a lot of people (raise money to support someone or something you care about)
- Raise money with a small group (for more personal things like birthdays or group gifts)
- Support a charity (mobilize your friends behind your favorite charity)
Step 2: Enter the name of the fundraising campaign, the amount, and the end date (up to 30 days). Each fundraiser can collect up to $20,000 USD in donations for the chosen cause and can stay live for a maximum of 30 days. However, if your fundraiser is in support of a charity, there’s no limit to the amount you can raise.
Step 3: Upload a unique photo to show who or what you’re collecting money for. The image should be associated with the cause you’re fundraising for and must comply with both the PayPal Fundraisers terms and conditions and the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. Importantly, the image must not violate any IP rights, so please ensure that you're entitled to use the image.
Step 4: Click Create and Publish or Preview to see what you’ve created. Unless the donor chooses to remain anonymous, the amount donated and a picture of the donor are displayed.
Step 5: You can share the fundraiser with your friends and acquaintances by clicking Share to forward the link.
Once published, the fundraising campaign can be searched for by postcode, category, keywords, etc. The campaign and all of its content are publicly available. If the fundraiser doesn’t end prior to 30 days, it’s automatically removed.
Donations to fundraisers benefiting a person or business are typically not tax deductible however, please seek independent finance and tax advice in relation to your donations.
- To create a PayPal Fundraiser, you must have a Personal PayPal account in good standing and it must remain so for the length of the fundraiser.
- You don't need a bank account, debit card, or credit card to start a fundraiser. If you want to transfer the money you receive, you'll need to add a bank account to PayPal.
- You'll collect money in the default currency in your PayPal account. You won't be able to change the currency in which you collect money.