How do I close the PayPal account of a deceased relative?
We're very sorry to hear of your loss. Please note that we’re only able to take instructions from the authorized executor or administrator of the deceased estate to close a PayPal account previously held by a deceased person. If you wish to close the account of a loved one, please contact the relevant executor or administrator.
If you are an executor or administrator of a deceased estate, please mail the following documents to us:
- A cover sheet from the requestor (or a person who is duly appointed or authorized to administer the estate of the deceased customer) identifying the PayPal account by the primary email address and requesting the account to be closed
- The requestor's email address, so our Deceased Account Team can reach out directly
- A copy of the death certificate for the account holder
- A copy of a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license, passport, or state-issued ID) of the requestor
- Legal documentation or a copy of the will that identifies the executor of the estate
- State-issued documentation if a living will is not present
Please mail the documentation to us at:
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145
Upon receipt, the documentation and account will be reviewed. Any mailed documentation will be destroyed once reviewed. We cannot return mailed documents.
We can disburse any money that remains in the account in one of the following ways:
- A check in the name of the deceased account holder
- Transfer to the bank account linked to the PayPal account