How can I view the status of my refund on my PayPal account?
To view the status of your refund in your Activity:
- Go to Activity.
- Select your date range located to the left of the search bar.
- Click Filters and select Refunds.
- Click the refunded transaction to view the details.
Here are definitions for some common refund statuses:
- Pending: If your refund status is Pending, It could be because the seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. It usually takes 3-4 business days for the money to become available in your PayPal balance.
- Refunded or Partially Refunded: If your refund status is Refunded or Partially Refunded, it means that the refund is complete. The money should be back in your PayPal balance or on your credit card.
Where is my refund sent?
How your money is refunded depends on how you made the original payment.
- If your payment came from your card, it will be refunded to that card. If the card you paid with is closed or invalid, please contact the issuing bank, as the money will still be refunded to your credit card account. If the refund cannot be processed to your debit card, it will be applied to your PayPal balance.
- If your payment came from either your bank account, it will be refunded to that bank account.
- If your payment came from your PayPal balance, it will be refunded to your PayPal balance.
- If you paid part with your PayPal balance and the rest with your debit or credit card, we'll refund the amount paid by debit or credit card directly to the card, and the rest to the PayPal balance.
- If you paid part with your PayPal balance and the rest with your bank account, we'll refund the amount paid by bank account directly to that bank and the rest will return to the PayPal balance.
Refunds to credit or debit cards can take up to 30 days depending on the card company involved.
Refunds involving a currency conversion
If the original payment involved a currency conversion and the refund is issued:
- within 1 day of the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable on the date of the original payment, so that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion you paid)
- 1 day or more after the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable at the time of the refund. This means that you may not receive the full amount of your original payment due to the fluctuations in exchange rates.
Learn more about our refund and return policy in Australia.