Getting started with your PayPal business account.
1. Confirm your emailTo make sure you can access any payments linked with your email address, we need to confirm you have access to that account.
Check your email inbox for a request to confirm your email and click the link. If you can’t find it, check your spam and junk folders. Alternatively, log in to your PayPal account and go to Tools > Business set-up > Account set-up > Confirm your email, check the email and enter your password.
2. Link your bank accountIt’s no good getting paid if you can’t access the money. Link your Australian or US bank account in the “Money” tab of your PayPal account so you can withdraw any payments you receive. It’s free to withdraw to your Australian bank account, but there’s a 2.5% fee for withdrawing to a US one.
When you’ve linked your account, you’ll need to verify it. Again, this is to make sure your money goes where it should. We’ll deposit two small amounts into your bank account over the next couple of days. Find the amounts and tell us what they are in the “Money” tab of your account, and you’ll be good to go.
3. Link your credit and debit cardsWhile you can use your bank account to pay for business purchases with PayPal, it’s quicker when you have a credit and/or debit card on your PayPal account too. It also gives you flexibility to choose which payment method is right for you at every checkout.
To link your cards, just head to the “Money” tab in your PayPal account.
4. Integrate your PayPal payment solutionHow you choose to be paid will determine what you need to do to set up your payment solution, but here’s a quick guide:
- Website payments. If you’re using an eCommerce platform or shopping cart, it’s quick and easy to add PayPal in your cart settings or with an add-on or extension from your cart’s partner list. For custom-built sites or larger online stores, you’ll need to use our APIs. Head on over to the Developer Centre for integration guides.
- Invoicing. Log in to your PayPal account and head to Invoicing under Tools to start setting up your templates and entering item and customer details. You can also download the PayPal Business app to invoice on the go.
- Marketplaces. If you’re selling on eBay, Etsy or another marketplace, simply link your PayPal account in your marketplace’s account settings.
- PayPal Here. Give our team a call on 1800 323 891 to apply for PayPal Here. Once approved, download the app and buy a card reader.
5. Verify your PayPal business accountTo make sure your money, your personal information and your business stay protected, we sometimes take extra precautions and limit your account. This usually happens upfront if you’re a charity, a trust or operating in a higher risk industry, but it can happen to any business at any time.
If we need to verify your business, we’ll email you and let you know what’s going on. Follow the in-account notification to confirm your details and provided any required documents. It’s important you act fast to avoid impact on your business operations and cashflow.
Remember to always log in to your account at PayPal.com.au to provide sensitive information and documents.
Frequently asked questions.
There are two types of PayPal accounts: Personal and Business.
Here's how you open an account:
- Go to our Sign Up page.  >
- Choose which account type you want.  >
- Enter your email address and click Get Started.  >
- Enter your information and choose a password (it must contain at least eight characters and is case sensitive). You will need these to log in to your PayPal account.  >
- Click Create Application.  >
- Complete each section of the application.  >
- Submit your application.
What is PayPal.Me?
PayPal.Me is a faster, easier way to get paid through PayPal. Just share your very own PayPal.Me link (paypal.me/YourName) with others, and they can send you money for any reason.
They don’t have to know your email address or mobile phone number, or even have the PayPal app. They can just tap on your link, go to your PayPal.Me, type in the amount, and send the money.
How do I create my own PayPal.Me link?
Just visit PayPal.Me to create your link. If you already have a PayPal account, log in and generate your link. If you don't, signup is fast and free.
You can also grab your link from the PayPal.Me Profile section in your account settings.
Is it free to set up?
Yes. PayPal doesn't charge a fee to open a PayPal account or set up a PayPal.Me link.
What kind of PayPal account do I need?
PayPal.Me is open to all account types, however business accounts can only accept Goods and Services payments.
Is PayPal.Me available in my country?
We're adding new regions as fast as we can. Check back often to see if it's available in your country.
Can I use PayPal.Me on my mobile device?
Yes. Your PayPal.Me link is available on mobile (iPhone and Android), desktop, and tablet.
Need more information?
How do I set up my PayPal.me link?
How do I get paid with PayPal.Me?
How do I send money using PayPal.Me?
How do I manage my PayPal.Me link?
How secure is PayPal.Me?
If you’d like access to the PayPal Giving Fund dashboard, you can contact us to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements before you sign up for and verify a PayPal business account for your charity.
Feel free to explore our site or get your questions answered on our PayPal Giving Fund FAQs page. It generally takes 3 business days to process your PayPal Confirmed Charities registration.
- No advanced programming is needed.  >
- Your customers don’t need a PayPal account to pay you.  >
- It’s optimised for customers on smartphones or tablets.
What can I do with PayPal Payments Standard?
PayPal Payments Standard lets you accept credit and debit cards on your website or through an online marketplace such as eBay or Etsy. Buying is straightforward: We handle the checkout process and then send customers back to your site.
You can use PayPal Payments Standard to send invoices online too, so you can get paid sooner.
As with all of our payment solutions, PayPal Payments Standard helps protect your business with our Automatic Fraud Screening, industry-leading data security and reliable customer service.