PayPal Checkout and how it works
What is PayPal Checkout?
PayPal Checkout integrates the checkout process onto your website to make payment quicker and easier for your customers. They have the option to pay using a preferred debit or credit card, or sign into their PayPal account to skip typing in their billing and shipping information. Like Website Payment Standard, there are no monthly or setup fees. You only pay when a sale is made.
How does PayPal Checkout work?
When customers confirm their order, they are directed to PayPal where they choose to sign in to their account if they have one. Once they review and complete their purchases, they’ll be brought back to your page. You can also customise the checkout process to ensure the shopping experience feels smooth and uninterrupted.
How do I get started?
Before you start, you will need to verify your account through the KYC procedure, and also activate your account. Once you’re done with both of these steps, adding Express Checkout to your website is pretty simple.
Step 1: If you want to let your customers pay without a PayPal account, make sure you have the first option selected.
Step 2: Choose how you want to integrate payment onto your website.
If you already have a shopping cart in place, follow the steps from the provider’s integration guides. Some of the partners we work with are featured below, with the full list in our directory. You can also try out a demo or check out our global community forums to see what others have done.
Step 3: If you do not have a shopping cart, you can add the button directly into your website.
Adding the PayPal Checkout button to your website will require some knowledge of API integration language. We have a guide for developers on how this can be done that also shows how you can customise the look to suit your style. If you want to make checking out even faster for your customers by skipping the shopping cart, simply add the button to your product pages.
That’s it! You’re done. If you haven’t, get PayPal Checkout for your website now.
Frequently asked questions.
You have 3 convenient options to request payments from your friends or customers. It's ok if they don’t have a PayPal account yet; we'll help them sign up for one and guide them through the payment. We’ll email you when your payment request or invoice is paid.
There’s no fee for your to request a payment. You only pay a fee for receiving a payment when your request is paid. When the payment request is paid, the funds are added to your PayPal account balance.
Option 1. Send an email payment request
What is PayPal Email Payments?
Email Payments allow you to receive payments from anywhere around the world simply by sending a digital request. The recipients will then receive an email that allows them to pay you with credit/debit card, bank account, or their PayPal balance. If the transactions are eligible for Seller Protection, it’ll be reflected in your Transaction Details page.
How to send a payment request?
- Go to Money.  >
- Click Send and request money.  >
- Near the top, click Request.  >
- Enter your recipient's email address, and click Next.  >
- Review the information and click Request Now.
You can request money from more than one person at a time. To do so, just enter their email addresses separated by commas in Step 2 above.
Option 2. Send an invoice
What is PayPal Invoicing?
Online Invoicing is a free management tool to help you automate your invoicing process. The feature provides an easy-to-use invoice template that can be personalised with details such as your company logo, product descriptions, and invoice ID numbers. They can also be customised with discounts, shipping costs, and the currency you wish to be paid in. You can send the invoice via email or a direct link, immediately or at a scheduled later date. Invoices can also be send to multiple recipients at one go, or on a recurring basis.
How to send an invoice?
- Click Invoicing.  >
- Select a template you want to use from the dropdown menu. If this is your first time creating an invoice, select Create a new template.  >
- Enter your information, the customer’s information, and the details of the payment.  >
- Click Save template for future use, and then click Send.
Option 3. Share your PayPal.Me link
PayPal.Me is our new, hassle-free way to pay and get paid. You can share your personal PayPal.Me link with anyone via SMS, social media platform or email. Your customers can then click or type your link and send you payments. If their payments meet the eligibility for Buyer Protection, their purchases will also be safeguarded by PayPal. Learn more about how PayPal.Me works.
Here's a video to get you started on email invoicing.
Pay using recipient's email address
- Go to Send payments.  >
- Click Pay for goods or services.  >
- Enter the recipient's email address, and click Next.  >
- Enter the amount you want to send, select the currency, and add a message to your recipient (optional).  >
- Select your shipping address, and click Continue.  >
- Review your payment information and click Send Payments Now.
After the payment is sent, your recipient will receive a notification email. If they don’t have a PayPal account, they can follow the instructions in the email to sign up for an account and accept your payment.
Pay with PayPal.Me
You can also try PayPal.Me, our new, hassle-free way to pay and get paid. If the person you're paying has a PayPal.Me link, they can share the link with you and let you pay them easily through PayPal. Learn more about how PayPal.Me works.
Useful tip: Preferred way to pay
You can select a debit or credit card as your preferred funding source, and we'll use it when you shop online or send a payment for goods or services.
To set your preference:
- Go to Money.  >
- Click Payment preferences.  >
- Select your preferred card, and click Confirm.
- No advanced programming is needed.  >
- Your customers don’t need a PayPal account to pay you.  >
- It’s optimised for customers on smartphones or tablets.
How does it work?
Adding WPS to your website doesn't require advanced technical knowledge. You can simply add PayPal payment button code to your website. When your buyers click on the buttons, they’ll be directed to PayPal’s payment page to pay you.
- If you need a shopping cart: Choose a shopping cart that's already integrated with PayPal, or add our "Add to Cart" button to your website.  >
- If you already have a shopping cart: Select PayPal as your online payment service. If you have a custom-built cart, add PayPal by cutting and pasting HTML code into your checkout.
Here are a few payment solutions we offer in India:
- Website Payments Standard: You can simply copy and paste our payment button code to your website to start receiving payments. It is mobile-optimised, and can be added onto an existing shopping cart to offer your customers secure transactions.  >
- PayPal Checkout: An API-based solution that allows you to personalise your customer’s checkout experience from start to completion. However, if you don’t have an eCommerce solution or a shopping cart already installed, you’ll need some knowledge of API programming to install PayPal Checkout on your website.  >
- Invoicing: You can bill your customer directly without setting up your own website.
Find out the payment solution that suits your business the best, and learn more about your next steps.
For technical support on implementing the payment solutions, please visit our dedicated Merchant Integration Tech Support Community and PayPal Developer Centre.
Note: To enhance your account safety and remove initial account limits, please confirm your email address and complete identity confirmation.
Watch this video to see how you can get PayPal on your website easily with PayPal Checkout.