How do I request a refund for a PayPal payment?
The payment was made by mistake
You can email the recipient to explain the mistake, and ask for a refund within 180 days of the payment date. The recipient would be able to issue a refund from the Transaction Details page of your payment within this timeframe.
To find the recipient's contact details, please go to the Activity page and click on the payment in question.
There are other problems
If you paid for a purchase but ran into other problems, we also suggest that you contact the seller first for a faster resolution. If you didn’t receive your item or you received something that doesn’t match the seller’s description, you may open a dispute in the Resolution Centre within 180 days of this purchase. Learn more about the dispute process.
Where will my refund go?
Here are the refund statuses you may see:
- Pending: Your refund has been issued, but the bank is still processing it. It usually takes 3 to 5 business days for the funds to arrive.
- Refunded or partially refunded: Your refund is complete. The funds should be back to your card.
- Completed: Your refund has been sent and completed on the seller or recipient's end, but you may not see the funds on your end just yet. It may take an additional 3 to 5 business days to process.
Refunds involving a currency conversion
If the original payment involved a currency conversion and the refund is issued:
- within 1 day of the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable on the date of the original payment, so that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion you paid)
- 1 day or more after the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable at the time of the refund. This means that you may not receive the full amount of your original payment due to the fluctuations in exchange rates.