Ask our Business Community
Get started and join the conversation to use PayPal for business in the Headstart Community.
What does the status of my sent PayPal payments mean?
Here are some definitions to help you understand the status of a payment you sent:
- Cancelled: You cancelled your payment, and the funds were credited back to your account.
- Cleared by Payment Review: We reviewed the transaction and the funds are in the recipient’s account.
- Completed: The transaction was successful and the funds are in the recipient’s account.
- Denied: The recipient didn’t accept your payment, and the funds were credited back to your account. View the transaction details to see why your payment was denied or contact the recipient for more information.
- Failed: Your payment didn’t go through. We recommend that you try your payment again.
- Held: We’re reviewing the transaction and your payment might be reversed. You should check the Resolution Centre for more information.
- In progress: Your payment was sent, but the recipient hasn’t accepted it yet.
- On hold: We’re holding the funds temporarily because either you filed a dispute or we’re reviewing the transaction. Look for an email from us with more information.
- Paid: You paid for a payment request or an invoice.
- Partially Refunded: Your payment was partially refunded.
- Pending Verification: We’re reviewing the transaction. We’ll send your payment to the recipient after your payment source has been verified.
- Placed: We've placed a temporary hold on your payment. Look for an email from us with more information.
- Processing: We’re processing your payment and the transaction should be completed shortly.
- Refunded: The recipient returned your payment. If you used a credit card to make your payment, the funds will be returned to your credit card. It can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your statement.
- Refused: The recipient didn’t receive your payment. If you still want to make your payment, we recommend that you try again.
- Removed: The hold on your payment was removed and the transaction should be completed shortly.
- Returned: Funds were returned to your account because the recipient didn’t claim your payment within 30 days. PayPal members can manually reverse unclaimed payments before the 30-day automatic reversal.
- Reversed: Either you cancelled the transaction or we did.
- Temporary hold: Funds from your account are temporarily held during the authorisation process. The recipient isn’t able to use or withdraw the funds until the authorisation is complete.
- Unclaimed: The recipient hasn’t accepted or received your payment. Unclaimed transactions are automatically cancelled after 30 days.
You were logged out to help protect your account.