Last updated on 24 July 2023
Notice of Amendment(s) to the United Kingdom PayPal Agreement(s)
This page details and/or previews updates to PayPal users of changes to the United Kingdom PayPal User Agreement or other online agreements, policies, or statements that require notice. You can also review Past Policy Updates notices. Note that additional changes could be made to previewed agreements on or before the effective dates listed, provided the applicable notice requirements are met.
We’re making changes to certain agreements (listed below) that govern your relationship with PayPal. These changes will take place automatically on the corresponding effective date(s) shown below.
Please carefully review the notices below and familiarize yourself with the upcoming changes. By continuing to use our services after the changes take effect, you agree to be bound by those changes. Otherwise, no further action is needed from you to accept such changes. However, if you would prefer to decline them, then you will need to close your PayPal account prior to the applicable effective date, as described in the user agreement.
Issued: 24 July 2023
Transfer of Services from PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. to PayPal UK Ltd (the “Transfer”)
Subject to PayPal UK Ltd becoming duly authorised to conduct its regulated activities in the United Kingdom by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”), PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. intends to transfer all services provided to its users in the UK (including users resident in Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar) to its affiliated company, PayPal UK Ltd, on 1 November 2023 or such other date as we may communicate to you (the “Transfer Date”) by posting a notice having immediate effect on this Policy Updates page.
With effect from the Transfer Date, PayPal UK Ltd will assume all the rights and obligations of PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. in relation to our UK users including those under the PayPal User agreement.
PayPal UK Ltd is in the process of applying to be authorised by the FCA as an electronic money institution under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 for the issuance of electronic money. PayPal UK Ltd is also applying to be authorised and regulated by the FCA in relation to its regulated consumer credit activities under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. It should be noted that some of PayPal’s products in the United Kingdom, including PayPal Pay in 3, PayPal Working Capital and Cryptocurrency services, are not regulated by the FCA. The FCA’s address is 12 Endeavour Square, London E20 1JN. The FCA maintains a register of the firms that it regulates at https://register.fca.org.uk/s/. Our firm reference numbers with the FCA will be published on this Policy Updates page once this process is complete.
Before the Transfer Date occurs, we will provide you with more information about the regulated status of PayPal UK Ltd by publishing a notice on this Policy Updates page.
If the Transfer Date is later than 31 December 2023, we will provide further information on this Policy Update page about how the proposed transfer of all services provided to users in the UK from PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. to PayPal UK will be implemented.
We have provided more information about the intended transfer of UK services to PayPal UK Ltd on our website:
- if you are a consumer, please see our FAQ page for Consumers.
- if you are a merchant, please see our FAQ page for Businesses.
You will also find information on our FAQ page for Businesses about what you need to do if you are a merchant offering the PayPal Credit or the Pay in 3 products, or if you are a merchant using PayPal Working Capital. If you have any questions about what these changes may mean for you, or if you wish to make a complaint, please go to our Contact Us page for ways to reach us.
The following changes, which are unrelated to the transfer of services, will be made to the UK PayPal Agreement(s) before the Transfer Date (as defined above) occurs:
Amendments to the PayPal Online Card Payment Services Agreement
Effective 19 October 2023:
- The Advanced Credit and Debit Card Payments suite of functionality may include the ability to integrate eligible third-party wallets as add-on features. We’re revising our terms to indicate that if you choose to integrate such add-on features, you agree to the applicable third-party terms via your acceptance of the PayPal Online Card Payment Services Agreement. Such acceptance includes your acknowledgement and agreement that such third-party features and terms are provided, updated, and noticed solely by the relevant third party and not by PayPal.
- We are introducing new terms and fees for Advanced Credit and Debit Card Payment users who opt in to be charged under the Interchange Plus Plus Fee Structure.
- We are making clarifications on the availability of the Account Updater Service.
Discontinuation of the PayPal Here™ services and removal of related terms
Effective 30 September 2023:
- We’re discontinuing the PayPal Here™ services. Accordingly:
- The PayPal Here™ Agreement and the Warranty for PayPal Here Device will be removed from our Legal Agreements.
- Any references to PayPal Here will be deleted from our other PayPal terms.
- If you wish to retain a copy of the relevant terms, please visit our website and download printable PDFs prior to the discontinuation date. A pdf version of the PayPal Here™ Agreement and Warranty for PayPal Here Device is also available using the link below.
Changes to our Legal Agreements with effect from the Transfer Date
Subject to PayPal UK Ltd becoming duly authorised to conduct its regulated activities in the United Kingdom by the FCA, we will make changes to the PayPal legal agreements for all UK users with effect from the Transfer Date (as defined above) as follows:
Name of PayPal Legal Agreement
Changes with effect from the Transfer Date
PayPal User Agreement
PayPal Cryptocurrency Terms and Conditions
PayPal Privacy Statement
The changes will also apply to any PayPal Pay in 3 Agreements or any PayPal Working Capital Agreements you have entered into. These are not displayed on the PayPal Legal Agreements page but can be seen in the relevant servicing area of your PayPal Account.
Amendments will be made to each of these legal agreements to include the following information: