How do I close the PayPal account of a relative?
We’re very sorry to hear of your loss. Please note that we are only able to take instructions from the authorized executor or administrator of the deceased estate to close a PayPal account previously held by a deceased person. If you wish to close the account of a loved one, please contact the relevant executor or administrator.
If you are an Executor or administrator of a deceased estate, please follow the guidance below and we can assist with your request.
The following documents will need to be collected and sent to PayPal for review.
- A cover sheet from the executor (or a person who is duly appointed or authorized to administer the estate of the deceased customer) identifying the account by the primary email address, stating that the account holder is deceased and that the executor wishes to have the PayPal account closed
- A copy of the death certificate for the account holder
- A copy of a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license, passport or state-issued ID) of the executor of the estate
- Legal documentation or a copy of the will that identifies the executor of the estate
Please fax or mail the documents to our Compliance department to review for account closure.
P.O. Box 45950
Attn. Compliance Dept.
Omaha, NE 68145
Upon receipt, the documentation will be reviewed and the account will be closed. Any mailed documentation will be destroyed once reviewed. We cannot return mailed documents.
We can disburse any money that remains in the account in one of the following ways:
- A check in the name of the deceased account holder
- Transfer to the bank account attached to the PayPal account