How do I create REST API credentials?
REST API credentials include a client ID and secret. Here's how you generate the credentials:
- Log in to the PayPal Developer Portal using the same credentials you use for PayPal.
- On the My Apps & Credentials page, click Live or Sandbox depending on whether you need an app for testing (Sandbox) or going live (Live).
- Click Create App under REST API apps. Any previously created REST API apps will appear in the table above the Create App button.
- Enter the name of your REST API app in the App Name field, and select a Sandbox business account to associate with your app.
Note: Remember that you can't use a Live credit card in Sandbox, and you can't use a test credit card in your Live account.
- Click Create App.
Your credentials, the client ID and secret, are displayed on the app details page that displays after you click Create App.
- Request permissions for REST API features that apply to your integration, such as:
- Invoicing API
- PayPal Here
- PayPal payments
- Connect with PayPal
- Customer Disputes API
- When you are ready to take your code live, make sure you create a Live app to get live credentials.
- You should be able to complete transactions in the Live environment right away.
- Both environments use the same URL. Only the REST API credentials (Client ID and Secret) tell you which environment you're in.
- Don't share your Live REST API credentials with anyone.