Protecting our buyers.
We know sometimes things don’t go smoothly as planned. Therefore, if an eligible item you’ve bought online doesn’t arrive or doesn’t match the seller’s description, we can reimburse you for the full purchase amount of the item plus postage.
If an eligible item that you’ve bought online doesn’t arrive, or doesn’t match the seller’s description, PayPal's Buyer Protection may reimburse you for the full amount of the item plus postage. Buyer Protection can cover your eligible online purchases, on eBay or on any other website, when you use PayPal. Conditions apply.
More about Buyer Protection.
For more information on the specific terms of the Buyer Protection applying to you, see our User Agreement.
Physical goods that can be posted and which do not violate PayPal policies. Here are a few examples of situations where an item doesn’t match the seller’s description: You bought a book and got a DVD, you bought a new item but got something that was used, you bought 3 items but only got 2, the item was damaged during delivery, the item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t disclose), or you purchased an authentic brand but got a fake instead.
What's not Covered?
Intangible items like services, real estate, motorized vehicles (of any kind), custom made items, travel tickets, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid or gift cards, anything you buy in person, or items that violate PayPal's policies or eBay’s policies. You must open a dispute within 180 days or you will not be covered.
- Disputes can be opened for certain, tangible and physical goods only
- Full item cost has to be covered in one payment
- The buyer can open a dispute within 180 days of the date the payment was made
- If the buyer and the seller cannot reach a mutual agreement, the dispute can be escalated to a claim within 20 days after opening the dispute
- Buyers cannot open several disputes for the same payment
If an item doesn’t arrive or doesn't match the description, and your payment is eligible, we’ll reimburse the full cost of eligible purchases paid, including shipping costs.
We're Here For You.
Get our full support for unauthorized transactions, claims or any other concern you might have. Just reach out to our Customer Service.
If you received an unauthorized payment or a buyer claims he never received his item, our Seller Protection can help you get the full amount of an eligible payment, subject of the Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal and waive the Chargeback Fee, if applicable. As long as you meet the eligibility requirements, you may be protected.
For more information, see our User Agreement.
Terms and Conditions
Seller Protection covers tangible and intangible items (including services travel and tickets) paid for in one installment with PayPal and, where applicable, shipped to the shipping address registered during the transaction (see our User Agreement).
Documentation to be provided
A - Tangible items:
Keep the Proof of Postage (minimum) or Proof of Delivery for the goods that you sell. They may be requested in case of a dispute.
B - Intangible items (including services travel and tickets):
We will ask you to provide Proof of Delivery to show the purchase order was fulfilled and includes all of the following:
- The date the item or service was provided;
- The recipient’s address (email/IP, etc.) where applicable
Exemptions from the program
Our Seller Protection program does not cover:
- Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
- Items that you deliver in person, including at a point of sale.
- Digital goods and licences for digital content.
- Items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, gift cards or vouchers).
- Gold Bullion.
- PayPal Direct Payments (including Virtual Terminal Payments and Website Payments Pro/Plus payments).
- Mass Payment / Payouts.
- Counterfeit goods.
- Items that are not shipped to the recipient address. If you originally ship the item to the recipient address but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.
- Financial products and investments.
- Check the shipping address: never send your item to an address that is different from the one provided by PayPal.
- Track your item: always use a shipping service that includes an online tracking system and Proof of Delivery, as you can reassure your worried customers by providing a tracking number.
- Keep your customers informed: if there are unforeseen delivery delays, remember to tell your customers.
- Identify high-risk behavior: multiple orders to the same address in a short space of time, orders for high-risk countries, etc. In case of doubt, do not hesitate to call your customer to check the contact information and the identity of the card holder. If you think it is a fraud, cancel the transaction and do not send the order.
We're here to help
In case of Unauthorized Transactions, buyer claims, or any other problems you may have, we will help you find a solution. Contact our Customer Service.
Your safety is our priority.
No matter where you shop, our security is always the same. So buy with peace of mind from thousands of online stores around the globe. The world is yours.
A buyer may request a chargeback or fund reversal from PayPal, or his credit card company, but he may not pursue both at the same time or seek a double recovery. PayPal may put a hold on the funds in the seller’s account to cover a request. We're here to help and will inform you of every step of the process to resolve a case.
Security around the clock.
We monitor every transaction 24/7 to help prevent against fraud, email phishing and identity theft. Every transaction is heavily guarded behind our next-level encryption. If something seems suspicious, our dedicated team of security specialists is immediately on it to help protect you from fraudulent transactions. And remember, we never ask for any sensitive information from you in an email.
Your information is secured.
When you pay with PayPal, your financial information is never shared with the seller, and you can pay using only your email address and password. If you forget your login, you can recover it by yourself or Contact us if you need help.