Why did I get result code 3?
PayPal returned result code 3 - Invalid transaction type.
An incorrect transaction type variable was passed.
Confirm that you're passing the appropriate "transaction type” (TRXTYPE) in your request. The accepted transaction types are:
- S - Sale: Charges the specified amount against the account, and marks the transaction for immediate funds transfer during the next settlement period. PayPal performs settlement for each merchant daily. (TRXTYPE=S)
- A - Authorization: Authorizes transactions that may be captured later. A delayed capture (D) transaction must be issued to capture the original authorization. (TRXTYPE=A)
- D - Delayed Capture: Used to capture a previously authorized (A) transaction. This provides support for delayed order fulfillment.The transaction is scheduled for settlement during the next settlement period. (TRXTYPE=D)
- C - Credit: Returns the specified amount to the account holder. The credit card number need not be available if you have the original PayPal Reference ID (PNREF) issued with the transaction. If you issue a credit with the PNREF without specifying an amount, the amount of the original transaction is used. (TRXTYPE=C)
- V - Void: A void reverses a charge before the settlement process and prevents a transaction from being settled. A void doesn't guarantee release of the authorization (hold on funds) on the cardholder's account. (TRXTYPE=V)
- F - Voice Authorization: You can perform a voice authorization transaction after you get an approval code from the cardholder's issuing bank. This offline process establishes the transaction as an item that can be settled.
Note: Voice Authorizations aren't available when using PayPal as a processor. (TRXTYPE=F)
- I - Inquiry: An inquiry transaction checks the result and status of a transaction. (TRXTYPE=I)
- B - Balance Inquiry: Balance Inquiry transactions obtain the balance of a prepaid card. (TRXTYPE=B)
- L - Data Upload: To facilitate creating Reference Transactions and help you with PCI compliance, PayPal lets you upload credit card data by submitting an upload transaction. (TRXTYPE=L)
- K - Rate Lookup: The currency conversion rate lookup transaction supports basic Multi-Currency Pricing (MCP). MCP lets you accept payments in multiple currencies. This transaction type is currently available only when processing through Planet Payment. (TRXTYPE=K)