What is 2-step verification and how do I turn it on or off?
PayPal’s 2-step verification (two-factor authentication) gives you an extra layer of security when accessing your account. This process can only be done through your web browser and not through the PayPal App. You can set up 2-step verification using an authenticator app (like Google authenticator and Microsoft authenticator.)
Here's how to set up for 2-step verification for your mobile phone:
- Click the Settings icon next to "Log out".
- Click Security near the top of the page.
- Click Set Up to the right of "2-step verification".
- Choose how you’ll get your code by selecting "Use an authenticator app".
- Click Set it Up and follow the steps on the screen.
This process can only be done through your web browser and not through the PayPal App.
To turn off 2-step verification:
- Go to Settings.
- Click Security.
- Click Update next to "2-step verification."
- Click Turn Off next to 2-step verification, then click the Turn It Off button.
Please note: Customers who currently have 2-step verification via text turned on will not be able to enable 2-step verification text again if they decide to turn off.
You can opt to skip 2-step verification on a device you trust. Simply log in to PayPal on the device and complete 2-step verification. You'll see the option to "trust this device."