Upcoming Policy Updates
This page displays policy updates informing users in advance of important changes to the PayPal service, its User Agreement, or other policies. Please go to “Past Policy Updates” for previous policy updates.
AMENDMENTS TO CERTAIN PAYPAL AGREEMENTS
We are updating the PayPal agreements listed below for all PayPal users in Canada. The changes described below will go into effect on July 31, 2020, or as otherwise set forth herein. There is no action needed from you, as the changes will occur automatically on the applicable effective date. In the event you would prefer to decline the changes and close your account, you can do so prior to the applicable effective date and the changes will not apply to you.
Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement
- We are expanding our Seller Protection Program to include digital goods and clarifying the terms and conditions with respect to the coverage of intangible goods.
- We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Program does not cover Unauthorized Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal.
- For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers, or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs.
- We are providing the terms and conditions under which we will automatically enroll eligible charities with PayPal Giving Fund (which relationship will be governed by the Charity User Agreement), with the option to opt-out at any time.
- We are excluding items intended for resale, including single-item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program.
- We are requiring that buyers resolve their issues directly with sellers prior to filing a claim with us in order to be eligible for reimbursement under our Purchase Protection Program.
- We are clarifying the fees payable by sellers in relation to transactions processed through QR codes, which will be payable on and from October 1, 2020 (or a later date as determined and offered by us). Prior to this date, transaction fees on QR code payments are temporarily waived to help businesses impacted by COVID-19. Other fees for using the PayPal services may apply.
- We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy.
Amendments to the PayPal Custom Card Fields and Virtual Terminal Agreement
- PayPal Custom Card Fields will now be referred to as “advanced credit and debit card payments.” The new name of this agreement also reflects this change.
Amendments to the PayPal Privacy Statement (Effective June 23, 2020)
- We are clarifying information about PayPal account profiles, including how others can find your public profile.