How do I cancel a payment?
We cannot reverse a transaction which is Completed, so in this case we suggest that you contact the recipient directly to arrange a refund*.
A refund to a debit or credit card may take up to 30 days to process, depending on the card issuer.
You may cancel a payment you’ve sent only if the status of the payment shows as Unclaimed.
To cancel an unclaimed payment from your computer:
- Go to Activity.
- Use the date range, 'Advanced search' options or the keyword search box to find the payment you'd like to cancel.
- Click on the payment to open the details.
- Click Cancel.
To cancel an unclaimed payment from your PayPal app:
- Tap Your activity.
- Tap the payment you want to cancel.
- Tap Cancel Payment.
- If you used your credit card, the money will be returned to that card.
- If you used your bank account, the money will be returned to that bank account.
- If you used your PayPal balance, the money will be returned to your PayPal balance.