How do I issue a full or partial refund?
You can issue a full or partial refund within 180 days from the transaction date as long as its status is "Completed," "Pending," or "Cleared."
Here's how to refund a payment:
- Click the Activity tab at the top of the page.
- Click All Transactions.
- Select the payment you want to refund.
- Click Issue a refund.
- Under "Total Refund Amount," enter the amount you want to refund. You may have the option to refund a partial amount of the payment.
- Click Issue Refund. You'll be directed to a page confirming that your refund has been sent.
If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to issue the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. The amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.
Any tax or commission charged on the original transaction will be returned back to you, fully or partially, based on the type of refund.
- If the transaction only allows for a full instead of partial refund, it's likely the buyer used a coupon or gift certificate. When coupons are applied to transactions, full refunds are the only option. If you'll only provide a partial refund for such transaction, you can initiate a new payment on the Send & Request page to send your buyer the refund amount that you've agreed upon.
- If you have a balance with PayPal or you have money waiting that you haven’t accepted yet, the refund is paid from it. If you don’t have a balance or money waiting to be accepted, the entire refund will be issued from the primary bank account linked to your PayPal account.
- You can only issue full refunds on personal payments.
To learn more about the transaction fees, click Fees at the bottom of any PayPal page.