PayPal Checkout and how it works
How to add seamless checkouts to your site for better sales conversion.
What is PayPal Checkout?
PayPal Checkout integrates the checkout process onto your website to make payment quicker and easier for your customers. They have the option to pay using a preferred debit or credit card, or sign into their PayPal account to skip typing in their billing and shipping information. Like PayPal’s other payment solutions, there are no monthly or setup fees. You only pay when a sale is made.
How does PayPal Checkout work?
When customers confirm their order, they are directed to a PayPal overlay where they can choose to sign in to their account if they have one. Once they have reviewed and completed their purchases, they’ll be brought back to your page.
Before you start, you will need to activate your account. Once you’re done with this step, you can begin the process of adding PayPal Checkout to your website.
Step 1: If you want to let your customers pay without a PayPal account, make sure you have the first option selected.
Step 2: Choose how you want to integrate payment onto your website.
If you already have a shopping cart in place, follow the steps from the provider’s integration guides. Some of the partners we work with are featured below, with the full list in our directory. You can also or check out our global to see what others have done.
Step 3: If you do not have a shopping cart, you can add the button directly into your website.
Adding the PayPal Checkout button to your website will require some knowledge of API integration language. We have a guide for developers on how this can be done, that also shows how you can customise the look to suit your style.
That’s it! You’re done. Start creating the checkout experience you want for your business with PayPal Checkout now.
Frequently asked questions.
An automatic payment authorizes a merchant to charge you whenever you make a purchase on their website without signing in to your PayPal account. This is something that is set up on the first checkout with the merchant. The terms of the automatic payment will be available in your PayPal account.
Finding your automatic payments on the app:
- Tap Settings.  >
- Tap Automatic Payments.  >
- Tap the merchant.
Finding your automatic payments on the website:
- Go to Account Settings.  >
- Click Money, Banks and Cards.  >
- Click Set Automatic Payments.  >
- Select the merchant.
Changing the payment method:
- Select your current payment method.  >
- Select a new payment method or click link a new card or bank.  >
- Click Save.
If you’re a merchant who needs to cancel a subscription for your customer:
- Click Pay & Get Paid.  >
- Click Subscriptions.  >
- Find your customer’s subscription to update.
We support crowdfunding by offering a more convenient and secure way to accept payments, helping you make your idea a reality.
- Engage you early in the process.  >
- Provide you with upfront guidelines and expectations.  >
- Offer a flexible, safer, and more secure payment option.  >
- Keep fees low.
What crowdfunding campaigns does PayPal support in the Philippines?
What crowdfunding campaigns does PayPal NOT support?
What information will you need about my crowdfunding campaign in the Philippines?
What is Preselling?
I'm a developer and want to create a crowdfunding campaign platform, where do I get started?
In Store: When shopping in-store or through an app, Google pay uses your PayPal balance. If you don’t have enough money in your PayPal balance at the time of purchase, we'll automatically use your bank or debit card to add money in increments of $10 to your PayPal balance first to cover the purchase.
Chrome mobile web browser: If you’re using the Chrome mobile browser and check out using PayPal with Google Pay, you’ll be asked if you’d like to pay with PayPal. If you do, put your finger on your phone’s fingerprint scanner to complete the purchase. There’s no need to log in with your username and password, authenticate using your biometrics, and then pay with any of your available payment methods.
Online or in app: You can choose PayPal from within the Google Pay wallet anywhere you see Google Pay button. If you haven't added PayPal to your Google Pay wallet, you'll go through linking PayPal account to Google Pay.
Here are a few payment solutions we offer:
- Website Payments Standard: You can simply copy and paste our payment button code to your website to start receiving payments. It is mobile-optimized, and can be added onto an existing shopping cart to offer your customers secure transactions.  >
- Express Checkout: An API-based solution that allows you to personalize your customer's checkout experience from start to completion. However, if you don't have an eCommerce solution or a shopping cart already installed, you'll need some knowledge of API programming to install Express Checkout on your website.  >
- Invoicing: You can bill your customer directly without setting up your own website.
Note: To enhance your account safety and remove initial account limits, make sure to confirm your email address and verify your account.