• Payments and Transfers
  • Disputes and Limitations
  • My Account
  • My Wallet
  • Login & Security
  • Seller Tools

What can I do if I sent a payment to the wrong person?

If you sent a payment to the wrong person and the payment status shows as unclaimed, you can cancel it. Go to your Activity, find the payment, and click Cancel

If the payment status is 'completed', ask the recipient to refund you. Go to your Activity and select the payment you want refunded. Use the contact details to get in touch with the recipient and request a refund. You can also use the Chat option within the transaction to contact the recipient. 

If you don’t hear back from the recipient and the payment was sent as Goods and Services, you can open a dispute within 180 days of the payment date.

Here's how to open a dispute on the web:

  1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the payment and click Continue.
  4. Select the reason for your dispute, such as:
    • I didn’t receive the item purchased.
    • The product or service is not as described.
    • I have a billing issue
  5. Add any relevant information and click Submit.

However, you can't report a problem for payments sent as "Family and Friends". We encourage you to continue working with the recipient for a refund.

Was this article helpful?

More ways we can help

How are we doing?
Take our survey

If you accept cookies, we’ll use them to improve and customize your experience and enable our partners to show you personalized PayPal ads when you visit other sites. Manage cookies and learn more