What is a payment hold for an eBay item?
It's when PayPal temporarily holds a payment you receive for an item you sold on eBay. The amounts held will appear as 'Pending' in your PayPal account until we release the funds. You still have access to all other funds in your PayPal account.
When will PayPal release the payment hold for an eBay item?
Your funds will be released after 21 days if there will be no dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on the transaction. We may release funds earlier when the buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the eBay item hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved, even if the claim, chargeback, or reversal occurs after the hold is released.
Why would PayPal hold one of my payments?
To increase marketplace safety, we may hold payments that seem risky. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:
- You have been an eBay member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity on eBay or
- You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100 and do not have a record of good performance or
- You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage* 5% or greater than 5%, or
- You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
- You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
- You are listing your item in a high-risk category such as gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers or consumer electronics.
How can I avoid receiving an eBay item hold?
Here are some things you can do:
If you meet the following, you'll receive payments instantly in most cases:
- You have been an eBay member for 6-months or more, and
- Your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, and
- Your Buyer dissatisfaction percentage* is less than 5%.
- Your average Detailed Seller Rating is 4.5 or greater and
- Your have received 20 or more DSRs in the last 12-months
- Your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5%
I'm a new seller. Will payments I receive be held?
If you are a seller with an eBay feedback score lower than 100, but you have a record of good performance, you'll receive payments instantly in most cases. If you do not have a record of good performance or have limited selling activity, your payment may be held.