Purchase protection you need, peace of mind you deserve
Keeping your financial information secure is absolutely essential when buying online. Whether its ecommerce, sending money or buying with debit and credit cards online, trust PayPal's Purchase Protection program to help keep your financial information secure for your PayPal purchases.Set up a PayPal account
Personal data privacy
When transactions need only a login and password, you don’t expose bank details or card numbers. It’s an added layer of protection for your financial information.
We monitor transactions 24/7. So rest easy — even when you let your guard down, we won’t.
Our encryption keeps your online transactions heavily guarded from start to finish.
Contact us if anything seems suspicious so we can help you protect yourself from fraudulent charges against your account. We'll never ask for sensitive information in an email.
If there’s a problem with a transaction, we’ll put a hold on the funds until the issue is resolved. We investigate and stay involved every step of the way.
Global buyer protection
Buy or sell around the globe. We process and convert 25 currencies from 202 countries to make sending, spending, and selling simple and secure.
From checkout to delivery, we help protect your online purchases with the latest anti-fraud technology. We don’t share your financial information with sellers. And, if your transaction qualifies for Purchase Protection, we'll reimburse you for the full purchase price plus any original shipping costs.
Purchase Protection covers all eligible purchases where PayPal is used, as well as payments made through our website. To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment.Read purchase protection requirements
What’s covered with PayPal Purchase Protection
- You bought a book, but received a DVD
- You bought an item described as “new,” but received something that was used
- You purchased 3 items, but only received 2
- The item was damaged during shipping
- The item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t report)
- You purchased an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead
What’s not covered with PayPal Purchase Protection
- Real estate
- Motorized vehicles
- Custom-made goods that aren’t received
- Industrial machinery
- Prepaid cards
- Items that violate our policies
- Anything bought in person (not over the internet)
- Send Money transactions to friends or family
- Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims
- Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction
- Items that were described accurately by the seller
If you report an unauthorized transaction problem within 60 days from the transaction date, we’ll investigate right away. You aren’t liable for unauthorized purchases made from your account.
We're here to help. Tell us if you suspect strange activity, identity theft, or phishing and we’ll be on the case. Help us by forwarding any suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can investigate.
You're Protected If:
1. You were charged for something you didn't purchase.
This may mean someone has used your PayPal account without your knowledge or approval. Report it within 60 days and PayPal will investigate. You will be covered by our $0 Liability for Eligible Unauthorized Transactions program.
2. Your order never arrives.
All you have to do is log in to your account and open a dispute to get the refund process started. If you made the purchase on eBay, start here instead.
3. Your order arrives, but it's significantly different than it was described.
There are a variety of scenarios that meet this condition, for instance:
- You received a completely different item.
Example: You purchased a book, but received a DVD.
- The item is missing parts or features, and this was not disclosed.
Example: The listing said batteries included, but they weren't.
- You purchased a specific quantity of an item, but received the wrong amount.
Example: You purchased five pairs of fuzzy dice and only received four.
- The item was damaged en route to its destination.
Example: You bought a beautiful antique lamp, and it arrived in pieces.
- You received a counterfeit version of the item.
Example: You purchased a Rolex, but received a Faux-Lex.
If an order doesn’t arrive or it doesn’t match the description, we’ll reimburse the full cost of eligible purchases plus original shipping.
More secure shopping starts here.Set up a PayPal account