PayPal Nonprofit Landing Page
PayPal Nonprofit Newsletter
Make 2013 your biggest year yet.
New tips and techniques for mobile and online fundraising.
Mobile Trends: The New Must-Have
- More mobile transactions: 10% of PayPal transactions now occur on mobile devices 1. We processed $14 billion in mobile payments last year — 250% more than the $4 billion we facilitated in 20112.
- Increased smartphone browsing: Nearly half of all American adults (45%) now own a smartphone. The majority of them (55%) go online using their phones, and 17% of cell phone owners do most of their web browsing on their cell phone3.
- Growing mobile communications: 4 in 10 emails are now being opened on mobile devices. That's a 300% increase in the past two years4. We saw with our own emails that up to 30% of people viewed them on mobile devices, compared to around 15% at the beginning of the year.
- Cross-device usage: Payments are multi-channel, as 67% of users start transactions on one device or venue, then switch midstream5.
- Offer a secure and easy-to-use mobile site, and your contributions are very likely to grow. Get started right away with Donate buttons, PayPal Here, and Mobile Express Checkout.
- Optimize your site for mobile. For example, minimize the use of Flash and limit data collection fields.
- Use responsive design for your emails so mobile users don't have to deal with small type and off-screen sentences.
- Keep users' cross-channel movement in mind, and make your donation experience seamless across all channels.
1On the PayPal earnings call, it was reported that 10% of PayPal transactions now occur on mobile devices. Also reported in “The Making of a Payments Powerhouse" at MotleyFool.com, February 5, 2013
2 Statistics from “Letting the Numbers Tell Our Story" by Davis Marcus, The PayPal blog, January 16, 2013
3 55% of Americans reporting going online using their cell phone, and 17% of cell phone owners reported doing most of their web browsing on their cell phone in “The New Digital Wallet," Comscore study, December 2012
4 Statistics cited in “More Emails Being Opened on Mobiles then Through Browser-Based Webmail" article on Marketingcharts.com, December 12, 2012
5 67% of users reported starting transactions on one device or venue, then switching midstream in “The New Digital Wallet," Comscore study, December 2012
Good News: Our New Donate Buttons Are Now Optimized for Mobile
Reach Out to Your Community on eBay Giving Works
Come Meet Us at the 2013 NTEN Conference
Read Our New Book for Fundraisers
You can get a ton of fundraising tips from our new book, The PayPal Official Insider Guide to Online Fundraising.