Why did I receive an IRS B-Notice?
Since you receive payments for goods or services through PayPal, we're required to submit a tax Form 1099-K to the IRS when the payments you receive meet the reporting thresholds set by the IRS. Recently, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) identified a mismatch between your legal name and taxpayer identification number (TIN) in their records. As a result of this mismatch, you received a B-Notice.
Because we complete the required information on the Form 1099-K using the information that you supply to us through your PayPal account, we ask you to take action on your account.
The B-Notice we sent provides the additional information we need from you. You've received either a 1st B-Notice or a 2nd B-Notice.
- If you received a 1st B-Notice (which happens the first year that the IRS identifies a mismatch in legal name/tax identification number), log in to your PayPal account and click the bell icon (Alert notification) to provide the necessary information. Note that you may be required to download and fill out a tax Form W-9.
- If you received a 2nd B-Notice (which happens the second consecutive year that the IRS identifies a mismatch in legal name/tax identification number), please provide either a copy of your Social Security Card (individuals or sole proprietors) or a US IRS tax Letter 147C (entities). Log in to your PayPal account, and go to the Resolution Center to upload the document.
Please note that the information or relevant tax Form needs to be processed by PayPal before the deadline mentioned on the B-Notice in order to prevent your account from becoming further limited.
- If you've multiple PayPal accounts, you may need to verify that your tax identification number is accurate for each account.
- Please make sure all pages of the document are included and signed if applicable prior to logging in to your PayPal account and uploading the document. You may also send documents to:
PO Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145
- Please visit the PayPal US Tax Information Center for more information on IRS reporting requirements.
- For more information on tax reporting and FAQ's please visit the PayPal IRS 6050W website.
Save $20 on TurboTax Self-Employed.
TurboTax Self-Employed uncovers deductions personalized to you and your line of work. Check out with PayPal and you can save. Terms apply.