How do I use PayPal's Auto Return feature to redirect customers back to my website?
*The feature is only available for Business accounts.
The Auto Return feature for PayPal Payments Standard redirects the buyer back to your website after completing the payment. This feature replaces the PayPal-hosted Payment Done page with a page hosted on your website.
Here's how to enable Auto Return:
- Click Settings.
- Click Website payments under "Product & Services" on the left of the page.
- Click Update next to "Website preferences."
- Click On under "Auto return."
- In the Return URL field, enter the URL where you want to send your payer after payment is complete. The Return URL is applied to all Auto Return payments unless otherwise specified within the payment button or link.
- Click Save.
- The text must help the buyer understand that the payment was made and the transaction was completed.
- The text must explain that the buyer will receive an email containing details about the payment transaction.
- The page must provide a good user experience for your customers. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Visual consistency with the rest of your merchant site.
- No request for any PayPal account information details.
- Example: "Thank you for your payment. Your transaction has completed, and we are sending you an email containing the receipt for your purchase. Click here to log in to your account and view details of this transaction."
If you've enabled Auto Return and have also enabled PayPal Account Optional for new users, a new user won't be automatically redirected back to your website, but will have the option to return.
Note: PayPal reserves the right to monitor the Auto Return usage.