Once I’ve enabled the PayPal Security Key, how do I use it with my mobile phone?
There are two ways to connect to the PayPal Security Key via a mobile phone:
1. Log in to PayPal.com via your mobile phone
Here's how to get the security code sent to your phone:
- When you log in, click the Send SMS button and check your mobile phone for the text message with a 6-digit security code. You'll usually receive a text message response in less than a minute, depending on your carrier service.
- If you have multiple phone numbers on your account, be sure your mobile phone has been set as the primary phone number. If SMS is not available, we can also call your primary phone number if you’d like to listen for your 6-digit security code.
- Make sure that your primary mobile phone number is enabled before you enable the Security Key, or else you won’t be able to log in with the Security Key. Note: you can still log in via a different method (for example, by answering your account security questions).
2. Download and launch the PayPal app
If you’re using the PayPal app on your mobile phone instead of logging in through our website on your phone:
- Log in to your account with your email and password, as you normally do, and wait for a PayPal Security Key SMS that will contain your OTP. Enter your pin to log in.
- The PayPal app allows you to log in to you account using your iOS/Android device’s fingerprint reader. Check the app settings to set up this feature.