Why is my payment being held for 21 days?
Why are my funds being held, and when will they be available?
Delaying funds availability is a common industry practice we implement to help ensure the secure use of PayPal by both buyers and sellers. By placing your money in your pending balance, we're trying to make sure that there’s enough money in your PayPal account to resolve any issues that may arise with your account such as chargebacks or disputes. When subject to a hold, the money is temporarily not available to use.
If there aren’t any issues with your transaction or account, the payment will typically move to your available balance within 21 days after receipt (the money may not be released until later in the day).
Your payments may be placed on hold in your pending PayPal balance because:
- You’re a new seller with PayPal - It takes time to build history to demonstrate a pattern of positive buyer-seller transactions. By building a positive selling activity, your funds may become available immediately.
- You have performance issues or a high rate of buyer dissatisfaction or disputes - The percentage of refunds, disputes, and chargebacks compared to sales on your PayPal account seller performance. Having performance issues increases the likelihood of received funds being temporarily unavailable.
- The payment you received may be considered unusual for your selling pattern - You may be selling higher risk items such as tickets, gift cards, electronics, or travel packages. Unusual sales activity could also include a recent spike in sales, a change in average selling price, or a change in business model or type of item being sold. Also, if you had been selling on eBay but are now selling off eBay, this would be new activity.
- You were previously an inactive seller-You may not have sold something for a while and you have now begun selling again.
- You’ve been selling for a while but opened a new account-If you’re an established merchant, but opened a new account, that account will be eligible for holds until a good history is established.
To help ensure a successful transaction, we always encourage sellers to adhere to the following best practices:
- List successfully by including clear photos with detailed, accurate descriptions of items
- Be clear about shipping and handling time, costs, and methods. Ship promptly and upload tracking.
- Define your return policy upfront
- Communicate with your buyers and respond to inquiries quickly and in a professional manner.
“How do I get my held funds faster?” provides more detail on holds information and the steps you can take to get your funds released early.
You were logged out to help protect your account.