Payment overview and payment options
To send a payment, log in to your PayPal account and click Send at the top of the page. Choose whether you're paying for goods or sending money to friends or family.
Paying for Goods
You're making a purchase if you're paying for:
- Services: to pay for a service someone provides, like a mechanic.
- Goods: to pay for goods other than ones you purchase on eBay.
Friends and Family
You're making a personal payment if you're sending money for :
- A gift: to send money as a gift, like for a birthday.
- Payment owed: to pay your friend back for your share of a dinner bill, or for another item that your friend bought for you.
- Cash advance: payment not involving the purchase of goods or services. Your credit card provider may charge fees for a cash advance.
- Living expense: to pay for things like rent or utilities.
- Other: other payments that aren't a purchase of goods or services.
If you use your bank account or PayPal balance, there is no fee to send money for a personal payment within the U.S. If you use your debit or credit card, there is a small fee, but you decide whether you or your recipient pays. If you send money outside of the U.S. additional fees may apply.
If you have a balance in your PayPal account, we always use that first. If you don't have a balance, we automatically use your bank unless you change the payment method. You can change your backup payment method at check out. Note: You can't add Payoneer accounts to your PayPal account as a payment method.
We'll send the recipient an email to let them know that you sent them money. If they don't have a PayPal account, we explain how to sign up for one.
Paying a merchant
Here's how you can pay a merchant:
- Pay on the merchant's website and select PayPal as your payment method.
- Respond to a merchant's money request or invoice.
When you select PayPal as your payment method on a merchant's website, you can log in directly to your PayPal account. If you have a balance in your PayPal account, we'll use that first.
If you don't have the email with the payment request, you can still pay the money request or invoice:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click Activity at the top of the page.
- Click Pay under Order status/Actions next to the transaction.
- Review the information and click Continue or Pay to complete your transaction.
You were logged out to help protect your account.