How can I get my nonprofit set up with PayPal to accept donations?
PayPal can help your nonprofit organization easily accept donations from supporters. Most nonprofits choose PayPal Payments Standard or Express Checkout as their payment solution. These options let your donors complete their transactions on the PayPal website. Note that you must have a PayPal Business account – not a Personal account – to accept donations for your organization. You’ll need to confirm your nonprofit status to be eligible for the lower nonprofit transaction rate.
Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Evidence of nonprofit registration with any applicable regulatory body, such as Articles of Incorporation, IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter or documentation of candidacy.
- A pre-printed bank statement or voided check from your account. Starter checks are not acceptable. The organization needs to own each bank account linked to this PayPal account. You can't use a personal bank account.
- Information about how you intend to use the money (such as donations or membership fees).
- Your mission statement (if applicable).
- A subordination or fundraising letter (if applicable).
We use these documents for several reasons:
- To verify that your nonprofit is registered, because we offer discounted rates to 501(c)(3) organizations.
- To ensure we’re meeting our regulatory requirements for the government.
- To reassure donors that their money is going to a registered nonprofit organization.
Learn more about all the tools PayPal provides to help nonprofits raise funds at PayPal Nonprofits.
Special rates for 501(c)(3)
We offer discounted fees for registered nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status. If you transact between $0 and $100,000, you’ll pay a discounted flat-rate fee of 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction. For anything over $100,000, please call: 1-855-787-1012.
To apply for the nonprofit rate, click here.
If you don’t have 501(c)(3) status, PayPal still offers a simple flat-rate fee of 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.
Add a PayPal Donate Button to your Site Now
You were logged out to help protect your account.