Create or download a free construction invoice template.
Start by downloading a printable construction invoice template in Word, or by generating a blank invoice using our free Invoice Template tool. You can try using an Excel sheet, but you may run into some problems if you try to save an Excel template as a PDF. Customize your construction template following the instructions below. Please note the downloadable Microsoft Word invoice template doesn't include PayPal Invoicing built-in features.To customize your invoice template, upload your construction company logo and enter your details. At a minimum, your template should include basic information about your business as well as the details of the service you’re providing to your client.
How to customize your blank invoice template.
Assigning your invoice template.When assigning your invoice template, make sure it’s clear who it's from and who it is to. Come up with a numbering system that makes sense for your business and helps keep your bookkeeping organized.
- Your contact information: Include your construction company’s name, phone number, email address, and company website.
- Your client's information: Make sure to include at least an email address and a phone number. A physical mailing address is a nice to have.
- Invoice #: There are multiple ways to assign invoice numbers. The simplest is chronological – use the next number in the numerical series. But, that may not be intuitive and can quickly become a mouthful. (You don’t want your clients, or your team, to refer to document #492485720934.) You can work around this by breaking the number into multiple parts, like using a unique client number with a variable project number. So, when Jane Doe (customer number 25) hires you for another construction job – the fifth one this year – you could list that as #25-0005.
- Invoice date: This should be the day you send out the bill, not the day you created it. Make sure your invoice date, payment terms, and due date line up: if your payment terms are 30 days, then the due date should be exactly 30 days from your invoice date. And, use this date format to solve for international differences: Month (spelled out), date, year. (Example: December 28, 2017)
Tip: With PayPal Invoicing, we’ll automatically help you calculate the due date. And if you’re sending internationally, we’ll automatically display the invoice date in the proper format for your customer.
Supplying as much information about the consttruction products or constractor services provided helps you avoid any potential delays in getting paid. You also want to be as transparent as possible when sending a bill, making sure to specify not only your rates, but also the terms for payments. Your should generally include the following:
Itemizing your invoice template.
- Service details: Be as clear as possible when describing the construction service you’re providing.
- Service Date: Including a service date is optional, but if you decide to note it, this would be the date you performed the service.
- Description: Be specific. For example, if you're a contractor installing drywall, you may want to say something like “Reimbursement for materials: 4'x8' sheets of drywall x12.” Being clear and descriptive lets your client know what the bill is for, and that can save you time in follow-up questions.
- Billing rate: Depending on the construction service you provide, you may want to bill by hours, quantity, or even a flat rate – look for a tool that gives you flexibility to bill whichever way your business needs.
- Notes: Many contractors or construction businesses who have been operating for a long time rely on referrals and repeat business, and adding personal touches can go a long way. Whether you add a note that says “Thank you for your business” or “Hope to see you again”, this section can help you make a lasting impression.
- Terms and Conditions: Include payment terms in your terms and conditions (or notes) section, and remember to mention your terms for late or early payments. Also, if you’re sending your bill to an international customer or vendor, clarify which currency you’re billing in and make sure to add any local or industry-related requirements.
Reviewing and sending your invoice.Give your completed template a quick read through before you send it. Keep an eye out for typos and make sure you didn’t miss anything.
- Preview: Whether you're sending a PDF or a different type of file, make sure you preview the completed invoice to see what your customers will receive.
- Send: If you’re emailing your bill, make sure to include a clear, descriptive, and accurate subject line. If you’re using PayPal Invoicing, you can simply click ‘Send’ to have PayPal send your invoice or you can select “Share link myself” to share the invoice link in your own email, text, or chat message.
- Get paid: With PayPal Invoicing, your customers will automatically have the option to pay you online using their credit or debit card, PayPal account, or PayPal Credit1.
Our invoice template is ideal for every type of contractor or construction business. From roofers to plumbers, to engineers, a customized template is a straightforward and professional way to bill your customers.
Note: Some industries may require mentioning specific terms and conditions on your bill so be sure to check the special requirements for your business.
Access more invoicing features for free with PayPal Invoicing. For example, you can:
- Save invoice templates, items, and contact details for quick entry
- Send invoices to up to 1,000 customers at once
- Track status, view history, and send reminders for unpaid invoices
- Option to accept partial payments or enable tipping
- Accept payments from 200+ markets around the globe
- Send invoices on the go with the PayPal Business app
1 PayPal Credit is subject to consumer credit approval.
2 Source: comScore, based on a survey of 1,226 US and Canadian small- and medium–sized business owners asked how long on average it takes to receive a payment on an invoice from the time the invoice is sent out, using their primary invoicing tool, December 2017. 320 of surveyed businesses are currently using PayPal.
Frequently asked questions.
You'll get an email confirming that we've sent your invoices, and when you've been paid.
PayPal invoices are easy to create. Just enter your customer’s email address. Then add an item with its quantity and amount. Add as many items as you like. You can include personalized notes, terms and conditions, discounts, or any attachments your customer might need.
When you’re finished, click Preview to see how your invoice will look for your customer.
How do I send invoices?
You can send PayPal invoices to any email address in the world. When your invoice is ready, just click or tap the Send button and PayPal’s platform will send an email notification with a secure link to the invoice directly to your customer. If they have a PayPal account, your customer will also receive notifications about the invoice when they log into their account.
How do I share invoice links?
You can also share links to invoices directly with your customers. On the desktop experience, click Share link to invoice under the Send action. You’ll get a link that lets your customer view and pay the invoice. You can copy the link and your invoice becomes payable. Then share it by email, text, or messaging app. Because invoices contain your customers’ personal information, don’t share the invoice link on a public site.
To share the link again, copy it from your list of invoices by clicking the three-dot icon for the invoice. Or get the link by opening up the invoice details.
How do I send invoices to multiple customers?
Send the same invoice to up to 100 customers by clicking Multiple customers and entering each email address in the Bill to field. We’ll send a separate, payable invoice to each customer.
How do I import a batch of invoices?
Create and send a batch of multiple invoices by importing a CSV file. Use our spreadsheet template to fill out the invoice details for each customer. For each invoice, include a customer email address, item name, and item amount. After you import the spreadsheet file, you can view a summary of the imported invoices before sending them. Once you send the file, we’ll email each customer a secure link to pay their invoice. For customer security, PayPal limits the number of invoices you can send in a single day.
Learn more about batch invoices.
Can I manage PayPal Invoicing from my mobile?
You can create, send, and manage invoices on both desktop computers and mobile phones. You can also send and manage invoices on the go with the PayPal Business mobile app. Get the mobile app from the Apple Store or Google Play. Learn more.
What are quick invoices?
Quick invoices let you send easy, professional payment requests on your mobile phone. They streamline invoice creation so you can quickly share a link to an invoice with your customer. Your customer will still get a professional invoice including your default business information.
On a mobile phone web browser:
1. Log into PayPal and go to your invoices.
2. Tap on the button icon in the lower right.
3. Choose Send a quick invoice, enter an amount, and payment description.
4. Tap Create and Share Link.
5. When your invoice link is ready, tap Share Link, and then share it by email, text, or messaging app.
On the PayPal Business mobile app:
1. Tap on the lightning bolt-shaped Quick Actions icon in the lower right.
2. Choose Send a Quick Invoice and follow prompts.
3. Tap Create and Share Link, then share it by email, text, or messaging app.
4. Tap Done.
How do invoices for shippable items work?
If you’re shipping an item or need your customer to give a shipping address, check the Ship Order box when you’re creating your invoice. You can then add any shipping costs. When your customer pays, you’ll be able to add tracking information when you ship their order.
How do I schedule recurring invoices?
You can set invoices to repeat weekly, monthly, yearly, or at a custom interval. When you start a recurring series of invoices, the customer will immediately receive the first invoice. (You also can schedule the recurring series to start at a future date.) The following invoices in the series will issue around 7:00 AM in your time zone according to frequency that you set.
Can I cancel a recurring invoice series?
You can cancel a single invoice within a recurring series or the entire series of invoices. To cancel an invoice, tap the three-dot icon for the invoice within your list of invoices. You can also cancel the invoice from its details page. When you cancel an invoice within a recurring series, we’ll ask if you want to cancel the single invoice or the entire series.
How do I send invoices across national borders?
There’s no extra step to send invoices across national borders. You can send PayPal invoices to any email address in the world.
If your customer has a PayPal account, we’ll display the invoice and email notification in their preferred language. If your customer doesn’t have a PayPal account, we’ll send the invoice and notification email in the language of your account. You can also specify a different language by editing your customer’s contact info when you create the invoice.
Fees vary by country or region. See seller fees.
Can I cancel an invoice?When you cancel a sent or shared invoice, your customer won’t be able to pay it.
To cancel an invoice on the desktop experience, find the invoice in your list of invoices and click the three-dot icon on the right side of the screen. You have the option of sending your customer a notification email about the invoice cancelation. On mobile, find the invoice from your list. Tap the More icon on invoice details and cancel it.
Can I record payments made outside PayPal?If your customer pays by cash, check, or another offline method, you can record the payment from the invoice details page. You can also record an offline partial payment if your customer made a deposit or paid an installment. Recorded payments appear in the activity of the invoice’s details page along with any notes you’ve entered about the payments.
Can I add notes/memos for my records?To add a note to your invoice for your own records, click or tap the More Options link while you’re creating an invoice. Add a memo that your customer won’t see. If you’ve already sent the invoice, you can add a memo on the invoice’s details page.
Can I give my customers a receipt?When your customer pays a PayPal invoice, they automatically receive a payment receipt. If your customer wants another copy of the invoice, you can share a link to the paid invoice or create a PDF to send or print.
How do I download invoices for my business records?To download single or multiple PDFs for your invoices, hover over one or more invoices in your list and check each box. Then choose Download from the actions displayed.
How do I integrate PayPal Invoicing into my website?With a single integration, you can connect PayPal Invoicing directly into your order management system or website. You’ll need API credentials to connect your PayPal account to your platform so you can integrate PayPal Invoicing with your site.
Integrate PayPal Invoicing.
Learn more about fees.
How can customers pay my invoices?
PayPal customers can easily pay your invoices. They don’t need a PayPal account to pay. They can also pay you with a credit or debit card.
Can customers make partial payments?To accept partial payment from your customer, check the Allow partial payment box under payment options when you’re creating an invoice. This lets your customers make multiple payments toward the total amount of a single invoice.
If you require a minimum amount due, your customer will need to pay at least that amount in their partial payment. Your invoice will have a Partially Paid status until it’s fully paid. A record of payments will appear on the invoice details.
Partial payments aren’t a credit product or a way to allow for an excessive number of payments. We may contact businesses if we suspect they’re not using this feature correctly.
What if customers can’t find my invoices?If your customer can’t find their email notification for an invoice, their email filter might have sent it to the junk folder. If your customer has a PayPal account, they can pay the invoice by logging into their account where they’ll see the invoice in their Activity. If needed, you can share a link to the unpaid invoice with your customer.
Can I send reminder emails for unpaid invoices?To send a reminder about an unpaid invoice, find it in your list of invoices. On a desktop computer, click the three-dot icon and click Remind. On a mobile phone, you can send reminders from an unpaid invoice’s details page. You can personalize the reminder before sending it. Your customer will receive an email reminding them to pay the invoice. To save time, set up automatic reminders for all new invoices in your Invoicing settings. You can also schedule automatic reminders warning customers when an invoice is overdue.
Set up automatic reminders.