Create or download a free construction invoice template.
Start by downloading a printable construction invoice template in Word, or by generating a blank invoice using our free Invoice Template tool. You can try using an Excel sheet, but you may run into some problems if you try to save an Excel template as a PDF. Customize your construction template following the instructions below. Please note the downloadable Microsoft Word invoice template doesn't include PayPal Invoicing built-in features.To customize your invoice template, upload your construction company logo and enter your details. At a minimum, your template should include basic information about your business as well as the details of the service you’re providing to your client.
How to customize your blank invoice template.
Assigning your invoice template.When assigning your invoice template, make sure it’s clear who it's from and who it is to. Come up with a numbering system that makes sense for your business and helps keep your bookkeeping organized.
- Your contact information: Include your construction company’s name, phone number, email address, and company website.
- Your client's information: Make sure to include at least an email address and a phone number. A physical mailing address is a nice to have.
- Invoice #: There are multiple ways to assign invoice numbers. The simplest is chronological – use the next number in the numerical series. But, that may not be intuitive and can quickly become a mouthful. (You don’t want your clients, or your team, to refer to document #492485720934.) You can work around this by breaking the number into multiple parts, like using a unique client number with a variable project number. So, when Jane Doe (customer number 25) hires you for another construction job – the fifth one this year – you could list that as #25-0005.
- Invoice date: This should be the day you send out the bill, not the day you created it. Make sure your invoice date, payment terms, and due date line up: if your payment terms are 30 days, then the due date should be exactly 30 days from your invoice date. And, use this date format to solve for international differences: Month (spelled out), date, year. (Example: December 28, 2017)
Tip: With PayPal Invoicing, we’ll automatically help you calculate the due date. And if you’re sending internationally, we’ll automatically display the invoice date in the proper format for your customer.
Supplying as much information about the consttruction products or constractor services provided helps you avoid any potential delays in getting paid. You also want to be as transparent as possible when sending a bill, making sure to specify not only your rates, but also the terms for payments. Your should generally include the following:
Itemizing your invoice template.
- Service details: Be as clear as possible when describing the construction service you’re providing.
- Service Date: Including a service date is optional, but if you decide to note it, this would be the date you performed the service.
- Description: Be specific. For example, if you're a contractor installing drywall, you may want to say something like “Reimbursement for materials: 4'x8' sheets of drywall x12.” Being clear and descriptive lets your client know what the bill is for, and that can save you time in follow-up questions.
- Billing rate: Depending on the construction service you provide, you may want to bill by hours, quantity, or even a flat rate – look for a tool that gives you flexibility to bill whichever way your business needs.
- Notes: Many contractors or construction businesses who have been operating for a long time rely on referrals and repeat business, and adding personal touches can go a long way. Whether you add a note that says “Thank you for your business” or “Hope to see you again”, this section can help you make a lasting impression.
- Terms and Conditions: Include payment terms in your terms and conditions (or notes) section, and remember to mention your terms for late or early payments. Also, if you’re sending your bill to an international customer or vendor, clarify which currency you’re billing in and make sure to add any local or industry-related requirements.
Reviewing and sending your invoice.Give your completed template a quick read through before you send it. Keep an eye out for typos and make sure you didn’t miss anything.
- Preview: Whether you're sending a PDF or a different type of file, make sure you preview the completed invoice to see what your customers will receive.
- Send: If you’re emailing your bill, make sure to include a clear, descriptive, and accurate subject line. If you’re using PayPal Invoicing, you can simply click ‘Send’ to have PayPal send your invoice or you can select “Share link myself” to share the invoice link in your own email, text, or chat message.
- Get paid: With PayPal Invoicing, your customers will automatically have the option to pay you online using their credit or debit card, PayPal account, or PayPal Credit1.
Our invoice template is ideal for every type of contractor or construction business. From roofers to plumbers, to engineers, a customized template is a straightforward and professional way to bill your customers.
Note: Some industries may require mentioning specific terms and conditions on your bill so be sure to check the special requirements for your business.
Access more invoicing features for free with PayPal Invoicing. For example, you can:
- Save invoice templates, items, and contact details for quick entry
- Send invoices to up to 1,000 customers at once
- Track status, view history, and send reminders for unpaid invoices
- Option to accept partial payments or enable tipping
- Accept payments from 200+ markets around the globe
- Send invoices on the go with the PayPal Business app
1 PayPal Credit is subject to consumer credit approval.
2 Source: comScore, based on a survey of 1,226 US and Canadian small- and medium–sized business owners asked how long on average it takes to receive a payment on an invoice from the time the invoice is sent out, using their primary invoicing tool, December 2017. 320 of surveyed businesses are currently using PayPal.
Frequently asked questions.
When you create an invoice you can enter all the necessary transaction information such as to whom the invoice is going, the date, when it’s due, what it’s for and the pricing information. You can also customize any terms and conditions you may have, add a note to the customer, leave a memo for yourself, or add pictures. Finally, you can also save the invoice as a draft, edit or delete it, and of course send it to your customer.
Need to send the same invoice to multiple customers? Tap the invoice you created and then tap More. Tap Copy to duplicate the invoice and then edit the customer information on it as well as any other information. You can save the copy as a new invoice (it will automatically be titled the same but with a number on it) or send it.
As part of the invoice creation process, you can add to the app different items you sell or services you provide as well as multiple tax rates. Just tap Invoicing and then tap the cog.
Create Invoice Template
Construction Invoice Template
Sales Invoice Template
Contractor Invoice Template
Freelancer Invoice Template
Catering Invoice Template
You can pay a money request or invoice by clicking Pay Now in the email we sent you.
If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can create a new one before you pay. If you don’t want to create an account, you can pay using a debit or credit card.
- Check your email inbox for an email from us that includes the money request or invoice.  >
- Click the Pay Now button in the email. (If you don’t see it, click the link in the email, or copy and paste the link into your browser’s address bar.)  >
- If you already have a PayPal account, enter your password and click Log In.  >
- Review the money request or invoice, and then click Pay Now to complete your transaction.
- To create a new PayPal account and pay using your new account, click Sign In and follow the instructions.  >
- To pay without creating a PayPal account, click debit or credit card.
If you don’t have the email we sent you, you can pay your money request or invoice by logging in to your PayPal account. You’ll see the money request or invoice in your Activity.
Top 5 Invoice Payment Terms
Learn more about invoicing