PayPal inStore FAQs
The PayPal inStore app lets you pay for goods and services quickly and securely on the high street. Separate to the PayPal mobile app, PayPal inStore app lets you:
- Shop on the high street wherever PayPal inStore is accepted
- Make purchases using your PayPal account
- Automatically redeem retail offers you've opted into
You can pay at the till using your PayPal account. Any accepted retail offers will be deducted and the payment will be taken from either your PayPal balance or your preferred payment method. Here's how it works:
- From the Home screen, tap 'Pay inStore'.
- The app will display a unique barcode and number. The shop assistant will scan the barcode or enter the number into the till.
- The payment is then taken from your PayPal balance or your preferred payment method. This appears as a regular transaction in your PayPal account and you'll receive a confirmation email from PayPal as normal.
To view your transaction details, tap 'Transactions' from the 'Home' screen. You need to be connected to your mobile network or WiFi in order to view transaction details
You can request a refund code for something you've bought using PayPal, either online or on the high street. Here's what you need to do:
- From the Home screen, tap 'Refunds'.
- To add a new refund, tap the plus button to be taken to the 'Transaction history' screen.
- Select a transaction and tap 'Request Refund'.
- The app will display a refund transaction code and save this in the 'Refunds' screen.
- To refund your item, the shop assistant will scan the barcode or enter the number into the till.
- The value of the refund will then be processed by PayPal and returned to your PayPal account or original payment method.
You can only request a refund code from retailers that accept PayPal inStore. Refund codes can only be requested for payments made using PayPal.
To search for a transaction you would to have like refunded, you need to be connected to a mobile phone or WiFi network. It's a good idea to request a refund code using the app in advance, and save it for later, so you can use it in-store.
Once you've created a refund code, you don't need to be connected to a mobile phone or WiFi network to retrieve the saved code and for a refund to be processed in-store.
- From the Home screen tap Transactions
- Transactions are listed by retailer. Select a retailer to view the transactions you've made with this retailer
From an individual transaction you can also request a refund code. For more information, see 'How do I request a refund using the PayPal inStore app?'
The PayPal inStore app displays offers that may be of interest to you. Once you have accepted an offer, it will be automatically applied to qualifying transactions.
- From the 'Home' screen tap 'inStore Offers'.
- Offers are displayed on the 'Latest offers' tab.
- Tap on an offer to view details on the 'Offers T&Cs' screen.
- Tap 'Accept' from the 'Offers T&Cs' screen to accept this offer or tap 'Not now' to cancel.
Accepted offers are listed in the 'Accepted offers' tab.
You need to have accepted an offer first before you can use it. Then, when you make a qualifying payment using PayPal inStore with a participating retailer, the offer will be automatically applied.
You will see the offer reflected in the receipt the retailer hands you and in the transaction value on the PayPal inStore Transactions screen.
For iPhones, the supported software for the app is iOS v 4.2.1 or higher. You can check the software version on your phone by selecting 'Settings', 'General', then 'Software Update'.
The supported Android OS software is version 2.x or higher. You can check the software version on your phone by selecting 'Settings', then 'About Phone'.