Why can't I add a credit or debit card to my PayPal account?
If you've tried to add your card to your PayPal account, but it was declined and you received an error message, it may be because:
- Your card has previously been added to 2 different PayPal accounts. If your card has been added to 2 different PayPal accounts in the past, it cannot be added to a third.
- You entered an incorrect billing address.
What to do: Check your card statement to ensure you're entering the correct address.
- A card can only be linked to one PayPal account at a time.
What to do: If your card is added to another PayPal account, remove it and then add it to your new one.
- You linked your card to your PayPal account, but entered the card security code (CSC) incorrectly 3 times.
What to do: Call us. We can help you finish linking your card.
- Your card company did not accept the $1 temporary authorisation charge sent by PayPal when you tried to add the card.
What to do: Call your card issuer to find out why they are rejecting the authorisation from PayPal. After they resolve the issue, try adding your card again.