How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?
You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
- You don’t receive the item
- You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website
By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.
If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute to a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.
To open a dispute:
- Go to Resolution Centre.
- Click Dispute a Transaction.
- Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
- Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
- Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute.