I want my money back. Can I cancel a payment?
Cancelling a completed payment immediately is generally not an option because the other party already has the money.
Contacting the seller is usually the best way to resolve a problem. You can find their contact details by going to your Activity and selecting the payment. They may be able to issue a refund or help with a return.
Otherwise, you can open a dispute within 180 days of the payment date.
Here's how to open a dispute on the web:
- Go to the Resolution Center.
- Click Report a Problem.
- Select the payment and click Continue.
- Select the reason for your dispute, such as:
- I didn’t receive the item purchased.
- The product or service is not as described.
- I have a billing issue
To open a dispute in the app:
- Go to Recent activity and tap the transaction you want to report.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on Report a Problem.
- Select the type of issue you have, including any relevant details, and tap Submit.
In a dispute, you can message the seller through PayPal to try to resolve any issues. If you cannot resolve the dispute, you have 20 days to escalate the dispute to a claim. In a claim, we investigate the case and decide the outcome.
You can check the progress of a dispute or claim at any time in your Resolution Center.