Mass Payment Overview
Save time, send multiple payments instantly
Pay up to 5,000 people in just one click
No set-up fees or monthly costs
How much does it cost to send a Mass Payment?
You pay fees for each individual payment in the batch, depending on your location and the recipient's location.
Send a Mass Payment
- Send payments to multiple recipients instantly.
- Send payments in 18 different currencies.
- Faster and easier than writing cheques.
- People get paid quickly and easily online.
- Have more control over your payment process.
- No set-up charges or monthly costs.
- Competitive pricing for domestic and international payments.
- Currency conversion available for all supported currencies.
As a merchant you can use Mass Payments to handle payments for:
- Suppliers and affiliate commissions.
- Partial payments.
- Refunds and customer rebates.
- Employee benefits.
How it works
Before sending money to a group, please contact PayPal Customer Service or your account manager to make sure your PayPal account is eligible.
1. Make sure funds are in your PayPal account
If you don't have enough funds, transfer money from your bank account to cover your payment.
2. Create a list of recipients Learn More
Include the following information in a text file like Notepad, or a tab-delimited file like Excel:
- Email addresses for up to 5,000 recipients.
- Payment amounts and currency.
- One currency type per file.
3. Upload the file
Log in to your PayPal account and upload the file.
4. Send your payment
After you review your payment information, just click Send. You receive an email when the payment is complete.
5. Your recipients receive an email
Your recipients will receive an email when their money has arrived.
If they don't have a PayPal account, we send them instructions on how to create a PayPal Account so they can receive the payment.
You can use the recipient information stored in your database to send automated payments to up to 250 recipients.
1. Set up the payment file
Be sure to include the email address for each recipient, the payment amount and the currency code.
2. Call the Mass Payment API
You can set up an API call to send a payment to up to 250 recipients.
Go to the Mass Payment API page to learn more.
3. Instant Payment Notification
Get your payment status immediately with Instant Payment Notification. We email you when you send the payment from your account. You'll get a second email when your recipients receive the payment.
Learn more about Instant Payment Notification
Fees and currencies
Get competitive pricing for payments and currency conversions
- No set-up fees.
- No monthly costs.
- Recipients don't pay fees when they get your payment.
- Senders pay a small fee for each transaction.
Automatic currency conversion
When the recipient's currency is different from your own, we automatically convert your payment at competitive exchange rates.
For more information about where payments can be received, see the PayPal Worldwide page.
Fraud protection on every transaction
All Mass Payments benefit from our industry-leading fraud protection, including powerful 128-bit SSL encryption.
Reports and logs
Simple record keeping for all payments
You'll get an email to confirm that your payment was sent.
View your payment history securely and conveniently in your PayPal account.
Export your transaction history to Excel.
Or use our Instant Payment Notification APIs to pass your payment status directly to your accounting system.
Keep track of all your payments, refunds and sales activities with a variety of reports:
- Summarised settlement.
- Financial summary.
- Transaction details.
- Daily sales summary.
You can get to all your reports easily from your PayPal account.
We're here to help
Find answers to frequently asked questions about PayPal.
Online virtual agent
Get immediate help from our online virtual agent, Ask Louise.