Who's "new"?You're considered a new seller for the first 90 days after your first successful sale on eBay.
If you're an established eBay seller opening a new account, you may be able to remove Payment Holds for New eBay Sellers on your new account. Learn more
- New sellers are still learning the ropes—that's a time when issues between buyers and sellers can happen
- By holding payments for up to 21 days, we have time to verify that there are no problems with the transaction
- This time period lets new sellers establish a successful selling history
Can you get your payment sooner? There are steps you can take which may help get your payments released sooner. Best practices to follow:
- Quickly ship your item to the buyer's address on the Transaction Details page
- Let the buyer know the item has shipped. If you upload tracking information manually from the transaction details page of your PayPal account, an email is sent to your buyer to review
- Use a shipping service with signature confirmation
- Save the tracking information or other proof of shipment
What exactly is a hold?
A hold is an amount of payment that belongs to you, but is temporarily set aside by PayPal. When you get paid by a buyer, the funds are credited to your PayPal account, but not all of it is immediately available. The funds—or a portion of the funds—for the payment shows as pending in your PayPal account. This means you can't spend or withdraw the payment while the hold is in place. The hold also helps ensure that funds are available if needed for refunding a buyer.
Please note: Although not available for use, the payment is completed and will be reflected in your pending balance.
How long will my payment be held?
For each transaction, payments may be held from new sellers for up to 21 days. You may be able to access your payment sooner if you receive a positive feedback from the buyer, and as long as there is no buyer dispute, claim, chargeback, or other action on your account.
Is there anything I can do to get my payment sooner?
Your payment may be released faster if:
- Your buyer leaves you a positive feedback
- If you're an established eBay seller opening a new account, you may be able to remove Payment Holds for New eBay Sellers on your new account. Learn more
When you're ready to ship the item, upload tracking information manually from the transaction details page of your PayPal account. Your buyer will receive an email with the shipment information.
Could I be subject to other types of payment holds after 90 days?
PayPal may continue to evaluate an account to determine if future payments will be held or not. Other types of payment holds may apply to some sellers.
Where is my payment when it's being held?
The payment is in your PayPal account. You'll see it in your PayPal account balance as pending.
Does the hold apply to my PayPal payments off of eBay?
No. For new eBay sellers, PayPal will not hold your non-eBay payments. For example, if you accept PayPal on your own website, any received payments will not be held as part of Payment Holds for New eBay Sellers. For these types of transactions, you may still be subject to other types of PayPal payment holds.