PayPal One TouchTM FAQs
What is PayPal One TouchTM?
One TouchTM is an optional feature that allows you to skip logging in with your email and password while still keeping your financial info secure. When you use PayPal on your mobile phone, desktop, laptop, or tablet, we’ll automatically log you in on that device and browser so you can breeze through checkout across all eligible merchants.
Why should I activate PayPal One TouchTM?
Activating PayPal One TouchTM allows you to skip the PayPal login screen when you shop in the eligible merchants, so you'll breeze through checkout and proceed directly to the payment page. It also saves the hassle of remembering and entering your password
How does PayPal help protect my financial information when I use PayPal One TouchTM?
PayPal is known for its world-class fraud detection tools, and these same tools are applied to PayPal One TouchTM.
PayPal recommends the following security measures specifically when using PayPal One TouchTM:
- You must use the same device and browser combination each time to use PayPal One TouchTM
- The functionality is limited for your protection. For example, you can currently make payments, but you can’t withdraw funds, or access your PayPal settings from the PayPal payment screen. This helps prevent anyone that may get access to your device from obtaining sensitive information.
- You must not share your device if you are using PayPal One TouchTM, and you must immediately report it to us if it's stolen
What do I do if my phone is lost or stolen?
In the event of your phone being stolen, call our Customer Service so we can help protect your PayPal account from unauthorized use. Also log in to your PayPal account and change the security settings under Profile.
What if I am using a public computer?
Please only activate PayPal One TouchTM on your personal device or computer and not on a public/shared computer/device to avoid misuse of your PayPal account.
Do I still need to opt in to PayPal One TouchTM for each individual merchant?
No. You only authenticate and authorise the use of PayPal One TouchTM on the first merchant site or app with PayPal One TouchTM functionality that you visit on that device and browser. If you use the same device and browser each time, you won’t be asked to log in at the eligible merchants. However, if you update your PayPal personal or financial information, we will always ask you to log in.
How do I activate PayPal One TouchTM?
It’s easy. You can select “Stay logged in for faster purchases” when checking out with PayPal upon initial login. This activates PayPal One TouchTM for that specific device and browser. You do not need to log in every time you shop at the eligible merchants if you use the same device and browser.
How do I deactivate PayPal One TouchTM?
You can easily de-activate One TouchTM by turning it off within your PayPal account. Just go to your PayPal.com profile, click the Settings icon next to “Log out.”, then click the Security tab, and edit your “One Touch® for auto login at checkout” option. Business account users can deactivate by clicking “My settings” under Profile and editing the “Stay logged in for faster purchases” option.
Other alternative methods to deactivate /revoke PayPal One TouchTM are:
- Call PayPal Customer Service
- Clear cookies
- On changing your password, PayPal automatically revokes consent
- PayPal can force ‘Show Login’ for suspicious activity or if a transaction bears higher risk
- You can turn it off in your PayPal account settings
How can PayPal help if I have a problem with my online purchase?
When you pay with PayPal online, PayPal Buyer Protection won’t be impacted by PayPal One TouchTM and will continue to apply to your eligible purchases. If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described and you comply with the terms, we will reimburse you for the full amount of the item plus postage and packaging costs.
To qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection:
- Use PayPal to complete your payment
- Keep your PayPal account in good standing
- Pay for the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments aren't eligible
- If the eligible item you’ve bought online doesn’t arrive, or doesn’t match the seller’s description, let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Centre within the time frame noted in the transaction details. Following this, if the matter is still unresolved you can escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute
If your transaction qualifies for PayPal Buyer Protection, you are covered for the full purchase price plus the postage and packaging costs. You can report your problem in the PayPal Resolution Centre.
Please note that some purchases aren't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. To learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection and to see a full list of eligibility requirements and exclusions, please review our User Agreement. You can find the User Agreement by clicking Legal at the bottom of any PayPal page.
Can I select specific merchants to use PayPal One TouchTM?
No, you can’t control which merchants you opt in to PayPal One TouchTM for. Once you consent to PayPal One TouchTM, you can stay logged in if you use the same device and browser each time at all eligible merchants, unless you turn it off or it gets turned off by PayPal.
What happens if I am shopping on a mobile device or a computer logged in to PayPal One TouchTM that is not mine?
If you are shopping from a mobile device that doesn’t belong to you, you can simply click ‘Not Me’ to log out of PayPal and log back in using your own account. If you attempt to move forward with the purchase using an account that is not yours, you will be making an unauthorised payment, which is prohibited.
If you do this accidentally, you will, in most cases, not be able to complete the purchase. However, please contact Customer Service immediately so that we can help the PayPal account holder and merchant resolve the issue.
What if I share my device or desktop with other users?
Please do not share your device if you are using PayPal One TouchTM. You can log out of PayPal One TouchTM at any time.