What FATCA documentation does PayPal collect and how do I provide it?
The information that we must collect may include your address, and your U.S. or other tax ID number.
For a business entity, we may need to collect the following information:
- Its country or region of incorporation.
- Its business type or classification under FATCA.
- A certification stating, among other things, whether the entity is or isn’t considered a "Specified U.S. person" (as defined by FATCA).
- Whether it has or doesn’t have substantial US owners or controlling persons.
- If it does have substantial US owners or controlling persons, the names and addresses of those owners or persons.
We must collect the necessary information through documentation, such as a certification of non-U.S. status, a Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) for U.S. entities or persons or a Form W-8BEN/BEN-E (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting) for non-U.S. entities or persons.
Here's how to complete FATCA with PayPal:
- On your account Dashboard, click the Notifications icon.
- Click the FATCA notification.
- Follow the instructions to confirm your tax status and enter the requested information.
Read and review the certification before signing it with your electronic or written signature. False statements may lead to penalties under applicable law. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the form, it may be beneficial to contact a tax advisor.